newsnight inaccuracies

Further to Themos Tsikas's message about the recent newsnight programme on
Iraq, some may remember that Mark Urban did another piece on sanctions for
Newsnight, about this time last year (in fact I think he's done a number of
pieces - he may be the resident Iraq 'expert').  It was riddled with
inaccuracies, most notable of which was Mark Urban's totally baseless
conclusion that the infant mortality rate was higher in the south/centre
than in the north because the Iraqi government was obstructing oil for
food - in fact, it could have been a propaganda film produced for the
Foreign Office, rather than supposedly objective journalism.  I wrote to
Newsnight on that occasion, to the editor, whose name now escapes me (Liz
someone?).  My letter wasn't even acknowledged, far less answered.  I do
think it would be good if as many people as possible contacted Newsnight and
pointed out that Mark Urban's journalism is either appallingly sloppy, or
disgracefully biased.  Either way, they should take steps to ensure he
checks his facts in future.

Andrea Needham
voices in the wilderness