RE: New UN sanctions committee chair

Dear all,

I'm just checking that this letter is indeed accurate, before I send it to
the Guardian. Did I get this one right?

Chris

        "In Saturday's Guardian, Peter Hain asserts that since sanctions
were imposed, 'Iraq has not  . . fired Scud missiles at Israel'. This is
untrue. The current sanctions regime was imposed in August 1990, via UN
resolution 661, before the Gulf War that ousted Iraqi forces from Kuwait.
Israel was attacked in 1991, during this war. The current murderous
sanctions on Iraq are not the result of a ceasefire - they are the ones
imposed ten years ago in immediate response to the invasion of Kuwait.
        Hain needs a better brief than this - especially since he is using
it to over-rule the judgement of the man on the spot, UN official Hans von
Sponeck, who resigned in protest at the criminal outcome of the sanctions
policy.

        Chris Williams"