Re: from today's observer

John Nichol's excellent analyis and insight (Observer 19th November) has
just one flaw. Having just returned from Iraq and again driven throught the
north and south (to Mosul and Basra) it is impossible to agree that British
and American pilots 'risk their lives on a daily basis to fly into
Iraq.....' (apart from the risk which accompanies any form of travel
including crossing the road.)
The idea that Iraq's - by today's standards - antiquated old anti-aircraft
guns - are a threat to allied pilots flying at the heights they do is almost
farcical. Reports (not verified independendently for obvious reasons) from
villagers north and south over the last two years is that when flocks of
sheep are bombed planes allegedly circle quite low. But in remote plains
where sheep graze there is no reason for anti-aircraft ordnance. (Tho' were
I a shepherd, I might think differently.)
The Iraqi regime has offered huge rewards to any military who shoots down
planes overflying the no-fly zone. Like all except about seven percent of
the population, the Iraqi military is on monthly wages which would make the
buying of a slab of chocolate for thier children impossible. A reward such
as this would render them not only rich, but a national hero. Politics
aside, this is a brave and inventive people. Yet no one has managed to claim
this prize.
Three days ago I was outside a building in Basra next to an army depot. Air
raid sirens suddenly howled, soldiers appeared, looking skywards and I
queried what was happening. They pointed upwards and in near stratospheric
heights two others from the Sheffield Delegation to Iraq identified the
almost pinpoints which were UK/US planes returning to their bases.
Anti-aircraft guns were visible, there was no scramble, just an acceptance.
They didn't even bother, it was no contest.