Sanctions busting flight from London to Baghdad today

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE MARIAM APPEAL:

SANCTIONS-BUSTING
PLANE LANDS IN BAGHDAD.

THE FIRST PEACEFUL BRITISH FLIGHT
IN MORE THAN A DECADE DEFIES THE GOVERNMENT
AND TOUCHES DOWN IN IRAQ.

At around 8am local time (5am GMT) the first British flight since sanctions
were declared against Iraq more than 10 years ago landed successfully at
Baghdad's international  airport - without permission from either the
British government or the UN Sanctions Committee in New York. The party of
eight included the Labour MP for Glasgow Kelvin, George Galloway, hereditary
peer Lord Rea of Eskdale and Catholic priest Father Noel Barry, who is the
former press secretary of Cardinal Thomas Winning.

The plane was an Air Dassault Falcon 50 which flew under the cover of
darkness and subterfuge from Manston airfield in Kent. The sanctions-busting
flight was paid-for by private donations to the Mariam Appeal, the
campaigning organisation which is fighting to stop the embargo on Iraq which
has caused the deaths of more than 1 million Iraqis, the majority of them
children. The flight was deliberately not a humanitarian one - no drugs or
medicine were on board - but was intended to focus world attention on the
plight of the people of Iraq.

"We don't accept that there are any UN sanctions against passenger flights
into Iraq - as the British and American governments maintain - but I do
accept that we have committed an offence in Britain by not informing the DTi
of our flight plan or allowing the department's inspectors to check out the
plane" said George Galloway. "I hope that the government won't take action
against us but if they do then we'll relish our days in court."

At the same time as the plane landed a letter giving details of the flight
was being handed in to Foreign Office minister Peter Hain. The letter says,
in part: "We have made this journey to demonstrate the widespread and
growing opposition in the United Kingdom to the continuing embargo.As you
know my view is that there is not requirement for any UN Sanctions Committee
approval for this flight and there is no breach of any international legal
requirement."

Fr Barry said: "I have written and campaigned against sanctions for some
time now and it is time to add action to the rhetoric. Children are dying in
Iraq and as a committed Christian I find it impossible to walk past on the
other side of the street."

Trish Meehan
Mariam Appeal
t: 0044 (0)207 403 5200