Re: Hain apologises

Britain sees the sacntions as a necessity and yet France sees them
as absurd.  I want to know just what argument Britain is using, to try
to convince France of the necessity of sanctions.  Clearly whatever the
argument is, France doesn't find it convincing.  How come the UK
government is convinvced and the French one isn't?
I would not be too surprised to learn that the only reasons for
UK and France taking their respective views is their own *vested interests*.
And I wouldn't mind knowing what these are.  To me it's become almost
comical
how often I'm hearing that cliche about 'weapons of mass destruction',
it's like something out of Mark and Lard's "Vague News" (BBC Radio1).  It's
just
such a broad term.  It suggests that they don't understand just what sort
of weapons they are talking about any more than they want us too.
It is well known that NATO's war in Kosovo had nothing to do with
'humanitarian' reasons, and yet this was the patronising line that the
government took in explaining to us the supposed necessity of this war.  In
the case of the sanctions, Saddam's 'weapons of mass destruction' are the
official line we are given.
I want to know just what sort of weapons the government would have us
believe that Saddam is building or wants to build, whether the government
really believes all this, whether it's true, and just what the government's
*real*
motives are.

--On Thursday, November 9, 2000 11:28 +0000 Voices uk