http://secretary.state.gov/www/statements/970326.html
Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
Remarks at Georgetown University
Washington, D.C., March 26, 1997
As released by the Office of the Spokesman
U.S. Department of State

"PRESERVING PRINCIPLE AND SAFEGUARDING STABILITY: UNITED STATES POLICY TOWARD IRAQ"

"...We do not agree with the nations who argue that if Iraq complies with its obligations
concerning weapons of mass destruction, sanctions should be lifted. Our view, which is unshakable,
is that Iraq must prove its peaceful intentions. It can only do that by complying with all of the
Security Council Resolutions to which it is subject.

Is it possible to conceive of such a government under Saddam Hussein? When I was a professor, I
taught that you have to consider all possibilities. As Secretary of State, I have to deal in the
realm of reality and probability. And the evidence is overwhelming that Saddam Hussein's intentions
will never be peaceful.

The United States looks forward, nevertheless, to the day when Iraq rejoins the family of nations
as a responsible and law abiding member. This is in our interests and in the interests of our
allies and partners within the region.

Clearly, a change in Iraq's government could lead to a change in U.S. policy. Should that occur, we
would stand ready, in coordination with our allies and friends, to enter rapidly into a dialogue
with the successor regime."