FW: Free ZNet Update: News on our Sub Drive, New Stuff Online, and a Nader Letter

----------
From: "Michael Albert" <sysop@zmag.org>
To: <znetupdates@tao.ca>
Subject: Free ZNet Update: News on our Sub Drive, New Stuff Online, and a
Nader Letter
Date: Sat, Oct 7, 2000, 6:05 pm
Dear all - in case you've noit seen it this is from Zednet and is how
Presidential candidate RalphNader is being treated - he spoke out forcefully
against sanxtion on Iraq. best, felicity arbuthnot.
--------------------

Finally, to give this message a bit more substance on top of
the solicitation and news, you all no doubt have heard that
Ralph Nader was not only excluded from the Boston
Presidential Candidates Debate as a participant, but the
debate commission folks wouldn't even let him in as an
audience spectator, even though he had a ticket. Well, here
is Ralph's letter to the commission explaining the events
and also making three demands that come due October 10. I
wonder, (rhetorically only), have you seen this letter in
your local newspaper?

Nader's Letter...

Mr. Frank J. Fahrenkopf, Jr.
Mr. Paul G. Kirk, Jr.
Co-Chairmen Commission on Presidential Debates

Dear Mssrs. Fahrenkopf and Kirk:

On Tuesday night October 3, 2000, I attempted to view the
first presidential debate hosted by the Commission on
Presidential Debates (CPD) at the University of
Massachusetts. Though I have been excluded from
participating in the debates by the arbitrary and unfair
standards set by your private, bi-partisan company, I was
given a transferable ticket by a university student to
observe the debates in a separate auditorium reserved apart
from the corporate-sponsored audience in attendance for the
two-party show. I planned to view the debates so that I
could appear as a guest to comment on the debates later that
evening on a live broadcast by Fox News Channel from a
trailer occupied by them, at the debate site, with the full
permission of the CPD.

En route to the event, ticket in hand, and members of the
press present and recording everything at my side, I was met
by a security consultant, Mr. John Vezeris, who was flanked
by three uniformed state troopers. The security consultant,
while declining to present any credentials, told me that he
was "instructed by the Commission" to advise me that "it's
already been decided that, whether or not you have a ticket,
you are not invited." One of the police officers told me
that I would face arrest if I continued to remain on the
premises. The security consultant repeatedly refused to
divulge who from the CPD ordered this action and subsequent
attempts by my campaign to establish who ordered this
coercive expulsion with the aid of police officers have not
resulted in any names. I was stopped a second time by the
same police when I attempted to visit the news trailer for a
broadcast I was formally invited to do by Fox News Chief
Executive Roger Ailes and which had been arranged from the
premises. According to today's media reports, Mr. Kirk
claims I was excluded as a "point man for the protests,"
when I took no part in those protests and when
demonstrations by pro-Gore supporters did not result in
similar exclusionary treatment for Vice-President Gore. As
the Green Party candidate for the office of President, I am
not used to being barred by police officers from attending
public events for which I hold a ticket. Nor am I accustomed
to being physically prevented from attending approved
on-site newscasts and reaching national audiences from
venues where I am invited to appear. Indeed, the
Commission's decision to deploy public officers at a public
university to bar me from viewing the presidential debates
and participating at a subsequent onsite newscast because of
my political viewpoints and affiliation with the Green Party
violates both Massachusetts State and federal civil rights
laws.

Accordingly, in the spirit of a proposed settlement offer
for this outrageous and unlawful behavior, I am seeking the
following by 10 a.m.  Tuesday morning October 10th:

1) An official, written apology from both of you, on behalf
of Governor George W. Bush and Vice President Albert Gore,
Jr.

2) A contribution of $25,000 to the nonprofit The Appleseed
Center for Electoral Reform at Harvard Law School.

3) An assurance that I will not be barred from attending any
other CPD presidential debate venues for which I have an
invitation from the press or a ticket.

Should you not respond by Tuesday morning to these three
requests, the Nader 2000 Campaign will pursue its legal
remedies on Tuesday, October 10th.

Sincerely yours,
Ralph Nader

Cc: