Re: Frmr NW Director on Iraq NW Program (NYT Mag 1 Oct 00)

Hi - another saga with more questions than answers (and some woeful
editing!)
The cynic would question not only the timing and how many times over the
years (always at a timely point) we have read of 'the most senior Iraqi
official to reveal' etc., but worth reflecting that: since as Nathaniel/CASI
have documented so graphically how the west armed Iraq and with US financial
contacts at the highest level up to the day before the invasion of Kuwait,
how come his name was unknown in the CIA/weapons circles. He had, apparently
been highly placed for nearly thirty years? The Baghdad Arms Fair was an
annual major world event - surely he is just the sort of person who would
have been in those highly co-operative years, high profile in the arms
circle?
When he finally reached the States, one assumes he intended to stay there -
a long tried and tested route to right to remain is to create a story that
makes the person a valuable CIA asset - or to go along with a disinformation
campaign created by US intelligence.
This is not to dismiss his claims, but bear in mind that Iraq, like many
other countries have genuine asylum seekers fleeing for their lives and
others who, on acceptance of their story and issuing of a western passport,
they travel back and forward with impunity.
However, that aside, the anomalies are interesting.
*Saddam has a cleanliness fetish (this is a long reported story) yet 'culls'
women off the street and  from audiences for help. He has women waiting to
give one woman a full makeover before going to bed with her? Hang on here -
obsessed with cleanliness then you get covered with lipstick and tinted
foundation? He chose virgins because they were safer? Not necessarily
cleaner? Did a Dr check their unsullied status? Surely with Mr Hamza's
inside knowledge he'd have known that?
*Christians trusted as domestic etc workers because they are cleaner than
Muslims. No, Christians have long been trusted (including pre-Saddam as I
understand it - come in Professor Mahdi and others with inside insight) in
the civil service beaurocracy and positions of trust. Tariq Aziz, of course,
arguably the most powerful man in Iraq after Saddam is a Christian.
*Further he is paranoid about assassination, has a food taster etc (believe
this to be correct) yet lets unknowns into his bed? Used as casually as
'towels'?
*Searching of cars going to Palaces etc, looking in glove box, engine etc.,
underneath. Ever tried to drive up Downing Street, into Buckingham Palace,
Capitol Hill, the French President's Palace - pick your Palace worldwide  -
oh please - hardly an unusual precaution.
*Iraq evading the IAEA and having infiltrated it. Maybe they did, maybe they
didn't (and even Iraq could'nt beat the UNSCOM model for spying!) but in the
quotes we have, the only man cited as 'our (Iraq's) man at the IAEA',
Italy's Maurizio Zifferero, conveniently dead.
*Human guinea pigs in biological warfare experiments. Highly possible and
absolutely horrific. But this is a global horror. Solicitors Russell Jones
and Walker are currently bringing a case against the UK's Porton Down on
behalf of one hundred serviceman who were used in terrifying experiments.
Just one is a man who alleges he was locked in a room with rabbits which was
then filled with gas. When he was let out all the rabbits were dead.
Numerous experiments in the US are well documented as they are in many other
countries.
*The great Wal-Mart assassination attempt. He thought he was going to be
killed and put his shopping trolley between him and the woman (buying the
National Enquirer at a Wal-Mart check out will never be the same again - I
gaze at the travelling hair dryer I bought at an Arizona Wal-Mart and
reflect on the hidden skulduggery lurking behind so mundane an act.) I
divert. Surely, if you believe your life is in danger and your movements,
domestic shopping etc habits are known - you change them, instantly?? And
shortly afterwards, he went back. Oh please ....
*Note to Editor of NYT Magazine: Saddam has 'rheumy eyes', ' onyx eyes' and
'yellow lifeless eyes'
- consistent metaphors please.

----------
> [...]

> started." The camera focused on those who were doing the shooting. "This
> was not a regular execution squad," Hamza says. "The shooters were party
> members, people I know. One of them was my own boss. People were being
> forced to shoot their own friends, people they had eaten with, gone out
> with, people they had known all their lives. Men were weeping."
>
> When the video was finished, Hamza says, the party official turned to him
> in disgust and said: "We are now cannibalizing ourselves. These are not
> people you don't know. These are your friends. One day, I might be asked to
> shoot you. And I would, because my own head would be on the line."
>
> With those grim images in his mind, Hamza focused all his energies on
> developing the bomb. He led secret missions to Europe and the former Soviet
> Union to acquire bomb technology, carefully covering his tracks to avoid
> assassination by Israeli agents. On trips to the United States, he was able
> to glean invaluable guidance by studying scientific journals and technical
> accounts of America's bomb effort, all of which were open to scholars. Even
> Israel's 1981 bombing of Iraq's Osirak nuclear reactor failed to halt the
> program. If anything, Hamza says, it moved it into high gear as Saddam
> defiantly poured billions of dollars into the effort and threatened more
> torture for any scientist who faltered.
>
> Over the next decade, Hamza says, he reaped lavish rewards - new cars,
> money, membership in Baghdad's exclusive Hunting Club - as he climbed the
> ranks to director of weaponization. Thanks to Hamza's efforts, Iraq stood
> only a few months away from building a nuclear device when the allies began
> bombing during the gulf war.
>
> Finally, in 1993, two years after the war ended, the body of a senior
> nuclear procurement officer was found in a ditch, prompting Hamza to begin
> to plot his escape. But it was not until 1994 that he was able to slip out
> of Baghdad into the "no-fly zone" in northern Iraq, controlled by
> opposition groups with connections to the C.I.A. There, using an opposition
> leader's encrypted telephone, he contacted C.I.A. headquarters outside
> Washington to announce his readiness to defect. To Hamza's utter dismay,
> however, the C.I.A. turned down his offer. Now he was stranded, the clock
> ticking on how soon Saddam would notice his absence.
>
> Warren Marik, one C.I.A. officer who spoke to Hamza that day, told me, "We
> had no idea of his importance." But Marik, now retired from the agency,
> added that Hamza had another mark against him: the opposition figure who
> put him in contact with the C.I.A. - Ahmed Chalabi, leader of the Iraqi
> National Congress, had fallen out of favor with the White House. Marik says
> the C.I.A. essentially dismissed Hamza as "unacceptable by association."
> Later, the C.I.A., realizing its mistake, brought him in from the cold, and
> later still arranged for the clandestine exfiltration of his family from
Baghdad.