Zalinskas (ex-UNSCOM): CW/BW Facilties Destroyed/Bombing Ends Inspections (NPR-13 Feb 98)

Below Raymond Zalinskas, former UNSCOM inspector, states in a 13 February 1998 National Public
Radio interview that (scroll down for transcript):

* "UNSCOM has destroyed all the chemical facilities, the chemical weapons facilities, and also all
known chemical weapons"

* "In the biological area, UNSCOM has destroyed the dedicated biological weapons facility at Al
Hakam, plus other ones at other institutes. And as far we know, they have no biological weapons
stored up."

* "I think also that if you have an air strike, then the Iraqis are likely to kick UNSCOM and the
International Atomic Energy Agency out of the country and that means that you don't have the
inspectors that do all the monitoring over the 200 facilities right now. So, in a way, I think you
increase the danger by doing the bombing."

Please note that the transcript below is an official National Public Radio transcription and not a
second-hand transcription.

Show Date: 1998-02-13
Display Timing: 00:04:15
Segment Number: 2
Trans. Title: Iraqi Weapons
Cat. Title: Potential Not Actual Iraq Chem/Bio Dangr

Abstract:

Host Bob Edwards talks with Raymond Zalinskas, Associate Professor at the University of Maryland’s
Biotechnology Institute and a former UN weapons inspector in Iraq, about the potential danger posed
by Iraq’s chemical and biological weapons.

BOB EDWARDS, HOST: If there is a military strike on Iraq, Clinton administration officials say one
of the goals will be to reduce or eliminate the threat of biological and chemical weapons.

Raymond Zalinskas is an associate professor at the University of Maryland's Biotechnology Institute
and is a former United Nations weapons inspectors in Iraq.

How imminent a danger is Iraq's development of these weapons for the U.S. and other nations?

RAYMOND ZALINSKAS, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, BIOTECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE, UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, AND FORMER
UNITED NATIONS WEAPONS INSPECTOR IN IRAQ: Well, it's really a potential more than an actual
danger, I think. UNSCOM has destroyed all the chemical facilities, the chemical weapons facilities,
and also all known chemical weapons. However, the persons, the scientists, engineers and
technicians that developed these weapons, of course are still available, that work force is intact.

In the biological area, UNSCOM has destroyed the dedicated biological weapons facility at Al Hakam,
plus other ones at other institutes. And as far we know, they have no biological weapons stored up.

So in other words, you have the work force and you have the potential of converting a bunch of
civilian facilities to warfare purposes, but all this would take rather long time, at least six
months.

EDWARDS: You think the Pentagon has a pretty good idea of where these weapon sites might be?

ZALINSKAS: Well, there are no weapon sites that I know of. If they have some buried weapons, I
don't think they would know, I don't think anybody would know. Because if UNSCOM knew about it,
they would have been destroyed already.

EDWARDS: So in your opinion, is the danger great enough to warrant air strikes?

ZALINSKAS: No, not for that reason. And I think also that if you have an air strike, then the
Iraqis are likely to kick UNSCOM and the International Atomic Energy Agency out of the country and
that means that you don't have the inspectors that do all the monitoring over the 200 facilities
right now. So, in a way, I think you increase the danger by doing the bombing.

You have to remember that 95 percent of UNSCOM and the agency's work continues unhindered, and this
is what they call "the ongoing monitor and verification program." And all these 80 facilities are
visited on, sometimes on a weekly basis, sometimes on a monthly basis.

EDWARDS: Were you able to identify some of the sites when you were a weapons inspector, these sites
that have the potential?

ZALINSKAS: Oh, sure. Of course I was a biological warfare inspector, so I visited about 60 of these
facilities at one time or another, and most of them are pretty innocuous. And the only one that was
really very obviously something significant in this area was Al Hakam, and as I said, that was
destroyed during June 1996.

EDWARDS: But if the Pentagon can identify these sites, can it destroy them?

ZALINSKAS: Well, many of these sites are located at urban settings, so, yes, I think theoretically
you can destroy them, but there's likely to be a lot of collateral damage.

EDWARDS: When you talk about the collateral damage, the danger to civilians, are you talking about
danger from the air strikes themselves or from release of chemical or biological agents in the
course of such an attack?

ZALINSKAS: Yes. I think it more has to do with the direct damage from the bombing itself, because
if there are any biological agents that are useful for weapons use, then they are probably seed
cultures, small cultures sitting in freezers or refrigerators, and those things would be destroyed
immediately.

EDWARDS: Would air strikes properly carried out significantly reduce Saddam's capability to produce
biological and chemical weapons?

ZALINSKAS: I don't think so. I mean the main, or the most important element is the expert work
force, and the work force are all civilians and they're, of course, dispersed all over the place.
So, that's still gonna be there.

And as far as the facilities, these are civilian facilities and I think it's gonna be hard to
justify knocking all of them out on the suspicion that they might be converted someday.

EDWARDS: Thank you very much.

ZALINSKAS: Thank you.

EDWARDS: Raymond Zalinskas is an associate professor at the University of Maryland's Biotechnology
Institute and a former UN weapons inspector in Iraq.

Copyright (c) 1998 National Public Radio (r). All rights reserved. No quotes from the materials
contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to National Public Radio. This
transcript may not be reproduced in whole or in part without prior written permission. For further
information, please contact NPR's Permissions Coordinator at (202) 414-2000.