Re: "Allies deliberately poisoned Iraq public water supply in Gulf Wa r"

Dear all:

I passed on the Glasgow Herald article and the document on
to a senior USAF contact of mine who was able to contact
someone involved in the drafting of the document. Here are
his comments, stripped of identifying detail. Whether or
not you agree with his comments, any rebuttal needs to be
careful.

I am willing to pass on responses (measured ones, as is
usually the case with CASI's high standards).

Best wishes

Eric

1.
'Oh. . .quick glance mentions NOTHING about targeting the
water purification
plants nor of a specific intent to harm civilians.  We did
NOT bomb water
treatment plants.
What is notable and noble, is the DIA was conducting an
assessment of the
impact the sanctions were having on Iraq--beyond the
military affect.
Many of the chemicals mentioned are used in the manufacture
and maintenance
of weapons and weapon support.  The UN, and I emphasize
"UN," sanctions were
comprehensive--meaning any "dual use" products would be
banned.
However, I will read in more detail and get back to you.
Again, as I mentioned, I see nothing in the message stating
the US/Coalition
deliberately attacked a specific public health facility
(water treatment),
only that the DIA was making an assessment of the affect of
the
sanctions--in the usual matter-of-fact unbiased impersonal
style in formal
message format.'

2. 'Please note the following:
Title of message: "IRAQ WATER TREATMENT VULNERABILITIES (U)
"
and
"SUBJECT: IRAQ WATER TREATMENT VULNERABILITIES (U)"

The "(U)" means the message's initial classification was
UNCLASSIFIED.  Thisis significant!!

UNCLASSIFIED means this report was not EVER classified and
as such was never"hidden" and never had a requirement to be
"declassified." In deed, the message is on a DoD web-site!

It is obvious to me that the message was NOT prepared to
support of any military operation, targeting policy or plan
to conduct an attack.  (Any such communication would have
been at least "SECRET."  It was merely what
the title said:  an assessment of how vulnerable the Iraqi
water system was.

My opinion is that some people may be reading into this
much, much more than what it really is---if you read the
message with an unbiased and unemotional eye and you will
see it is a cold-hearted assessment of the effect of
sanctions and NOT a "BDA" of the effect of a specific
targeting action or policy.

In addition, as I said in earlier email--many of the
chemicals (Chlorine for example) are used in the
manufacture of weapons and are considered "dual
use" and subject to sanctions.  If you read the message
again, you might detect a tone that suggests the
UN/Coalition re-evaluate that portion of the
sanction because of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

You write: "The coalition, led by the US, deliberately
destroyed Iraq's drinking water (and sanitation) system,"

Indeed we did lead, but we never deliberately destroyed
such targets.  It would be folly to risk aircrew and
aircraft to destroy such targets that offer no tactical or
strategic advantage.

"in the full expectation that this would cause many
civilian casualties."

No sir, nothing of the kind, and I see nothing in this
assessment that demonstrates an intent to do such a thing.
Where, oh where in the report does it imply or state we
deliberately attacked and  targeted their water
purification system--what it does say is the effect of
sanctions related to
specific dual-use chemicals are having an affect on the
water system.  I am
not splitting hairs here, I am reading the message for what
it is, and only
for what it say's.  THERE WAS NO DISCUSSION IN THE "BLACK
HOLE" TARGETING
CELL TO TARGET CIVILIANS---PERIOD!!!!!
Simply put, we did NOT go after the water plants to, in
your words, to
"cause many civilian casualties."  No, never went to war
with Iraq to cause
civilian casualties and this report is speaking to the
effects of sanctions
on dual use items.

Keep in mind that of the few water facilities hit were hit
because of two
reasons; 1) they were misidentified and bombed by an
aircrew under combat
conditions and while being shot at (which brings to fore an
argument AGAINST
the ICC--imagine bringing a case against an aircrew who
misidentified a
target under combat conditions--how silly!  A mistake is
NOT a crime.  The
2nd reason is simply because the target was part of a small
grid system
supporting a significant military target and the rule of
proportionality was
assessed and accounted for.'

3. 'I spoke with a principle associated with the
drafting of the
original message. . .just as I suspected. . .it was an
estimate/assessment
of the impact of sanctions beyond what was originally
intended
(double-effect/unintended consequences).'

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol