Re: developing solid responses to frequent misleading claims

Dear All,

  Yes, this project is  vital and indeed, reading Madeleine Albright and
Peter Hain statements one can only choose between being despaired and
laughing at the contradictions. I think we should underline how paradoxal
the sanctions policy is. For instance the State Department's page that you
mention states:
"
Myth: The international community has not taken measures to care for the
Iraqi people.
Fact: The UN designed the oil-for-food program in 1991-unprecedented in size
and scope-to provide food and medicine for the Iraqi people.
"
and a few lines after...
"
Myth: Saddam's palaces are used by the Iraqi people
Fact:(...) Saddam's inner circle is immune from harsh living conditions
facing the general population."
"

We can point out that if the sanctions are designed to harm Saddam then,
according to their OWN statements, it's a failure; furthermore if they are
not aimed against the Iraqi peole, then again, according to their own
statements it's also a failure.

Of course, every person of this list is already convinced, but reading their
webpage, the public can easily be fooled. So I agree that it would be nice
to build an anti-embargo counterpart... and probably ask the U.S state
departement to add a link to such a page.

Would it be posssible to send our ideas to a single person and ask this
person to process them and publish them online ?

Peace,
Nazim