(Fwd) UK campaign

From:                   "Amir _" <ad1@eudoramail.com>
Subject:                Iraqi Sanctions

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the All-Merciful.

Salaam, I hope you are well.

1) Intro (by me)
2) Sample letter
3) Contact details
4) Article
5) Reply to article

1) I n t r o
   ---------

Even Yasmin Alibhai-Brown is asking people to write to the Government to end sanctions, I have
copied her article below along with a letter to the editor regarding it. I think it would be
worthwhile to see what your letter can do but remember not to demand the ending of sanctions only
but also
for Saddam to be put to trial also because my intelligence source says that one without the other
will have no affect. If sanctions are ended with Saddam intact then the people will be plundered,
if Saddam is ended with sanctions intact then the people will be plundered.

I have left you a letter that will save you the time of writing your own letter and also some
contact details, what is interesting is that contact details given to  me seem to be private
details, i.e. they are not available to everybody, for example Tony Blair's e-mail address is not
on the web
(at least last time I checked). All you have to do is copy the letter and e-amil it - too much to
ask? Also there is an online petition that I told you about a while ago, if you have not signed it
please do <>. The IHRC have a campaign pack in PDF format on their website.

2) S a m p l e   l e t t e r
   -------------------------

[I find that if you want to e-mail the Government or your MP you either need an address that says
where you are from like @ic.ac.uk and not @hotmail.com or you can leave your postal address or
postcode.]

Dear Mr Blair,

Are you not ashamed that you are partly responsible for what US congressman David Bonior calls
"infanticide masquerading as policy"? I do not plan to persuade you that maintenance of sanctions
upon the Iraqi people is wrong because you know that better than I do. The point of my letter is to
ask
you when you will end the sanctions and place pressure on Saddam by other means thus relieving the
innocent Iraqi people but not Saddam.

Running away from this issue and not facing the facts is useless as it is well reported that
sanctions are responsible for the suffocation of the Iraqi people. Reports such as Yasmin
Alibhai-Brown's of the Independent and BBC Radio 4's "From our Own Correspondent" confirm this.
With elections
ever nearer you may find that gross neglect of human life may turn your "Ethical Foreign Policy"
into an Albertros around your neck.

Mr. Blair, baby Leo's of Iraq who have wronged none are deprived of a chance to grow up and their
parents are left to bury them. I look forward to your reply.

Yours,

3) C o n t a c t   d e t a i l s
   -----------------------------

Tony Blair
Fax office:- - 0207 925 0918
Fax private:- 0207-930-9572
Tel:- - - - - - 0207-270-3000
E-mail:- tblair@no10.gsi.net

Labour Party: labour-party@geo2.poptel.org.uk

4) A r t i c l e
   -------------
http://www.independent.co.uk/argument/Regular_columnists/Yasmin_Alibhai-Brown/yab310700.shtml

Ten years of sanctions have failed to oust Saddam. But they're killing Iraq
The Independent July 31st, 2000
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown
`Sanctions and bombings are creating new generations of young Iraqis  who hate the West'

Ten years. Ten years is a long time. And it is ten, slow, bleeding years this week since the UN
sanctions against Iraq were imposed following the Gulf War. The First World War lasted only four
years; the Second, six. Yet these historical events feel massively more extended than they actually
were
because we are, quite understandably, never allowed to forget them. All I am comparing here is
time. When it comes to Iraq, time has lost all meaning, vapourised into nothingness, because there
is barely any public consciousness of what has been happening in that country.

The consequences of the draconian UN sanctions policy are there for all to see if they choose to
look. The mortality rate for children under five has risen from 48 per thousand in 1990 to 125 per
thousand in 1999. One in four children is under-nourished, a rise of 73 per cent since 1991. The UN
sanctions committee has the right to veto anything from getting to Iraq. Today you cannot get
books, envelopes or paints for children. The infrastructure has been demolished. Iraqi doctors,
physiotherapists, lawyers, writers, have had to sell almost everything they own to buy basic
necessities.

One of the most powerful images of this is a picture taken by photographer Karen Robinson showing a
line of loved dolls propped up against a pavement waiting to be sold by desperate families. In
1996, the American journalist Lesley Stahl asked Madeleine Albright if she was concerned that more
children appeared to have died in Iraq than in Hiroshima. She replied: "I think this is a very hard
choice, but the price

 we think is worth it."

Once in a while an ethical journalist writes an impassioned article or a resourceful but powerless
anti-sanctions campaign group organises a meeting for the converted. The Muslim News, The New
Internationalist and some internet sources try their best to agitate and educate but they have
little
effect on the wider population, which remains either ignorant or wilfully indifferent to what is
being done in our name to some of the most highly accomplished, educated and cultured people on
earth.

I say "Iraqis" and not "Saddam Hussein". The UN sanctions are meant to tame Saddam not to punish
the Iraqi people, or so we are told with nauseating regularity by the powerful. Oh Yes? Call me
stupid for asking such a naive question, but how is it then that Saddam is still in control and not
looking an inch thinner while according to UNICEF, 5000 children are dying each month as a direct
result of the sanctions? Oh, simple, answers the Foreign Office website: "Sanctions are not
responsible for the suffering of the Iraqi people. Sanctions could have been lifted within months
of their
imposition if Iraq had chosen to comply with its obligations rather than obstructing weapons
inspectors."

The first thing to note here is the use of the word "Iraq". Is it not grotesque that "Iraq" is used
as a synonym for Saddam, a ruthless dictator who has systematically cowed and throttled Iraq so
that nobody else in that country has a voice or even a whisper of their own?

The Foreign Office is right that the ruling regime in Iraq is to blame for provoking the responses
and nobody I know would argue against military sanctions. But do our politicians really expect a
power-crazy dictator who uses terror and torture, to don a white robe when the evening comes and go
out handing over to his people the food and medicines which are allowed under the "Oil for Food" UN
humanitarian programme? Or is their calculation based on the expectation that driven mad, the most
malnourished, defeated and sick citizens of Iraq will one day storm the doors of the many palaces
and bring us out Saddam's head on a stick?

I lived under such a dictator once. Idi Amin, like Saddam Hussein, was once thought a good,
dependable chap with whom the West could do business. When he showed himself to be the villain he
always was, it was his people who he turned on. If sanctions had been imposed on Uganda in the
early
Seventies, already-oppressed Ugandans would have suffered even more and Amin would have blamed the
West for their woes.

I met the tyrant in 1971 when I was twenty-one at an event where student leaders could meet the
country's leaders. He was already heating up under the pressures being put on him by Israel, the US
and the UK, who were tired of giving him vast amounts of aid money. He said that if all aid
stopped,
he didn't care. People could starve, he said

 eat mud or each other (it is believed that he, in fact, relished human flesh), before he would go
begging again. To expect tyrants to go all humanitarian because the UN demands it is insane. In
South Africa, those opposing the Apartheid regime were prepared to suffer the sanctions for
freedom. I
have never met a single Iraqi from the opposition who agrees with the UN sanctions policies.

There is evidence that misery is mounting in Iraq and that more Westerners are becoming vocal in
challenging the UN policies. Besides the dedicated and tenacious work of individual journalists
such as the New Internationalist's Nikki Van der Gaag, we now have the voices of two ex-UN
Humanitarian
Co-Ordinators. The first, Denis Halliday, left because he felt: "We are in the process of
destroying an entire nation... It is illegal and immoral." His successor, Hans von Sponeck, left
this February for the same reason. Politicians such as Alice Mahon and US congressman David Bonior
from
Michigan, are getting more and more critical, in part because they know that these sanctions and
the unquestioned, continuing bombings of Iraq are creating new generations of young Iraqis who hate
the West. Der Gaag met a young child in Iraq recently who had drawn a picture of a white soldier
shooting flowers. American and English soldiers, she explained, hated flowers.

We must wake up and this is the week for it. Protests begin today and will continue all week with
meetings and "Die-Ins"

 mock corpses which will place themselves in key localities around London. Similar peaceful
demonstrations are planned in Canada, the USA, France, Southern Ireland and Italy. Most of us may
not feel comfortable with anything that dramatic. But what is there to stop us writing in to our MP
and
Downing Street?

y.alibhai-brown@independent.co.uk

5) R e p l y   t o   a r t i c l e
   -------------------------------

[sent to me by the Mariam appeal]

Letter - Our friend Saddam.

By John Kinahan.
Sir: Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's excellent article about sanctions against Iraq (31 July) quotes the
Foreign Office website as claiming that "sanctions are not responsible for the suffering of the
Iraqi people". Amongst the omissions from the Foreign Office's line is recognition of Britain's
responsibility for the Iraqi people's suffering before the Gulf War.

When in the British Council, I was ordered by the Council's then representative in Iraq to (I quote
his exact words) "present the correct positive line about the regime of Saddam Hussein". This was
after the gassing of Kurdish villagers was widely reported and in response to the increasing number
of British academics refusing to be recruited by the British Council to work in Iraq.
It is nauseatingly hypocritical of British politicians and civil servants to claim concern for the
suffering of the Iraqi people, whilst refusing to face our own part in that suffering. It also
helps to ensure the repetition of the same selfish, short-sighted and ultimately stupid behaviour
patterns elsewhere - look at British arms sales to Indonesia.
JOHN KINAHAN
Oxford.
(c) Independent Newspapers (UK) Limited 2000

--
http://welcome.to/casi