Our friend Saddam.

Dear Casi,

Below is a letter published in the 'Independent' of Friday 4th August; it's
worth reminding people that the British government's approach to the people
of Iraq's suffering was as dishonest and cynical pre-1990 as it is now.

With every good wish,

John Kinahan

***

Our friend Saddam.

Sir: Yasmin Alibhai-Brown’s excellent article about sanctions against Iraq
(31st July) quotes the Foreign Office website as claiming that "Sanctions
are not responsible for the suffering of the Iraqi people". Amongst the
omissions from the Foreign Office’s line is recognition of Britain’s
responsibility for the Iraqi people’s suffering before the Gulf War.

When in the British Council I was ordered by the Council’s then
Representative in Iraq to, I quote his exact words, "present the correct
positive line about the regime of Saddam Hussein". This was after the
gassing of Kurdish villagers was widely reported and in response to the
increasing number of British academics refusing to be recruited by the
British Council to work in Iraq.

It is nauseatingly hypocritical of British politicians and civil servants
to claim concern for the suffering of the Iraqi people, whilst refusing to
face our own part in that suffering. It also helps ensure the repetition of
the same selfish, short-sighted and ultimately stupid behaviour patterns
not only in Iraq but also elsewhere - look at British arms sales to Indonesia.

John Kinahan

***