ACTION ALERT - Stop the U.S.\UK from Bombing Iraq in Aug.!

***please distribute widely***

ACTION ALERT – Stop the U.S. from bombing Iraq in August 2000!

1. Background
2. Mailing Address
3. Sample Letter

BACKGROUND:

On Aug. 6th ‘90, the UN imposed broad, economic
sanctions on Iraq for invading Kuwait. Sanctions were
re-imposed on April 3rd 1991, after the Gulf War, to
force Iraq to destroy its “weapons of mass destruction.”
However, the Gulf War bombings of Iraq’s civilian
infrastructure & the ongoing sanctions blockade have
instead resulted in widespread poverty & skyrocketing
childhood mortality. The UN estimates that between
500,000 & 720,000 children have died because of the
sanctions. According to UNICEF, a child dies every
10 minutes in Iraq due to sanctions.

In Dec. ‘98, a series of confrontations between
UNSCOM weapons inspectors & the Iraqi government
resulted in “Desert Fox,” a U.S. bombing campaign
that killed 10,000 people according to Pentagon
estimates. One month after the bombings, the
Washington Post & the Boston Globe both reported
that Iraq’s main objection to the weapons inspectors,
namely that they U.S. spies, was in fact true. The
ensuing scandal over U.S. infiltration of UNSCOM led
to a year-long deadlock at the UN. In Dec. ‘99, the
Security Council passed (with France, Russia & China
abstaining) Resolution 1284, creating UNMOVIC, a
new inspection team. This team will be ready to begin
new inspections next month.

Since “Desert Fox,” the U.S. has continued regular
bombings of Iraq on the average of 3-4 times a week:
the longest running U.S. air war since Vietnam.
However, both Richard Butler, former head of UNSCOM,
and Scott Ritter, former chief weapons inspector, have
predicted that Iraq’s refusal to allow UNMOVIC into the
country next month will likely create a new crisis that
could result in an intensified U.S. bombing campaign
against Iraq – with thousands of casualties. Says Scott
Ritter, “The new commission, UNMOVIC, will not be
allowed into Iraq in August, three months away from the
election. You have got a Vice-President, Al Gore,
trailing behind in the polls and what better way to appear
tough and switch attention away to a so-called foreign
threat. The UN Security Council did not vote on Desert
Fox and we can expect the same thing to happen again.”

We MUST not let this happen again. Please take a few
minutes to write Sandy Berger, the U.S. National
Security Advisor & Clinton’s principle foreign policy
strategist, & demand that the U.S. stop killing civilians
in Iraq and end sanctions & bombings against Iraq –
rather than increase them.

For more information on a possible August bombing, please visit:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/World/Middle_East/2000-06/sanction230600.shtml
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/World/Middle_East/2000-06/saddam230600.shtml
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/World/Middle_East/2000-06/usarms280600.shtml
http://www.antiwar.com/justin/pf/p-j071000.html
For more information on the Iraq crisis, please visit:
http://www.iraqaction.org

MAILING ADDRESS

Samuel R. Berger
Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs
National Security Council
Old Executive Building
Washington, DC 20503

SAMPLE LETTER

Samuel R. Berger
Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs
National Security Council
Old Executive Building
Washington, DC 20503

Dear Mr. Berger,

I am writing you out of deep concern over the
continuing civilian casualties our war with Iraq is
causing, and the current press speculation that the
U.S. may be gearing up to increase our bombings.
A recent Washington Post article (“Under Iraqi
Skies: A Canvas of Death,” 6-15-00) estimates that
as many as 300 civilians have been killed by U.S.
bombs over the last 18 months. The UN Office of
the Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq confirms many
of these deaths, and the fact that our bombing
targets are often in strictly civilian areas with no
military targets nearby. This is unconscionable.

Furthermore, continued U.S.-led sanctions against
Iraq are creating a terrible death toll. The UN estimates
that between 500,000 and 720,000 children have been
killed by sanctions. Several NGOs, including the
International Committee of the Red Cross, back up
these estimates. State Department allegations that
Saddam Hussein is interfering with the “Oil-for-Food”
program have proven spurious. Hans von Sponeck and
Denis Halliday, the two, previous UN directors of the
“Oil-for-Food” program both resigned in protest over the
failure of “Oil-for-Food” to
adequately address this humanitarian crisis – and they
place the blame for this failure firmly on the sanctions
themselves, and not on the Iraqi government. In a 1996
“60 Minutes” segment, Madeline Albright acknowledged
that 500,000 children had been killed by sanctions and
said that, “We think the price is worth it.” This is not
simply unconscionable – it’s profoundly immoral. Such
callousness among our leaders, and in the policies they
pursue, does a terrible dishonor to our nation, and to our
interests and security around the world.

I am aware that a new weapons inspection team,
UNMOVIC, will be ready to begin its work sometime
this August. And I am aware that it is unlikely the Iraqi
government will give them permission to do so. This is
an unfortunate, but entirely predictable result of our
government’s intransigence and our indifference to the
suffering our actions have caused the Iraqi people. Our
policy toward Iraq has been described, by many foreign
policy analysts, as “all stick, no carrot.”

Should Iraq refuse to allow UNMOVIC into the country,
we must not respond with more bombings. The “Desert
Fox” bombing campaign did not help our nation in any
way, and simply wrought more destruction on an already
hapless people. Our continuing, almost daily, bombings
have not helped our nation in any way. Sanctions have
not helped our nation in any way. Indeed, our violence,
and our seeming indifference to its consequences for
the Iraqi people, have contributed to Saddam Hussein’s
rehabilitation in the eyes of many Iraqis, and throughout
the Middle East. Our violence is stoking the fires of
anti-Americanism throughout the world, and isolating us
among our colleagues on the Security Council.

It is in our interest to work toward a peaceful and stable
Middle East, and the continuing destruction of the Iraqi
people is neither a peaceful nor a stable situation. I urge
you to advise the President to de-escalate this war, end
our bombings and our blockade, and begin good-faith
negotiations with the Iraqi government to resolve our
differences.

Sincerely,