House of Commons Written Answers

>From yesterday:

16. Mr. Galloway: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs if he will meet Mr. Scott Ritter to discuss progress made on the
disarmament of Iraq; and if he will make a statement. [129556]

Mr. Hain: The responsibility for ensuring the destruction of Iraq's
weapons of mass destruction capability lies with the United Nations
Monitoring, Verification and Monitoring Commission (UNMOVIC) and the
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), under relevant United Nations
Security Council resolutions. We are in close touch with both
organisations. I shall be discussing this important issue with the
Executive Chairman of UNMOVIC, Dr. Hans Blix, on 27 July.

Mr. Llew Smith: To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth
Affairs how many British companies are listed in United Nations reports of
inspection visits to Iraq since 1991 as having provided technology used in
the Iraqi programmes of weapons of mass destruction. [130851]

18 Jul 2000 : Column: 140W

Mr. Hain: It is not our practice to comment on information that was given
to us in confidence by the United Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM). In
any case, UNSCOM did not share information from inspection reports with
the UK except when seeking our help to follow up that information.

Copies of UNSCOM's reports to the UN Security Council are held in the
Libraries of the House.