Richard Butler supports de-linking

A snip from a just-completed WashingtonPost webchat by the former head of
UNSCOM ...

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/zforum/00/auto_freemedia061500_butler.htm#
NOW

(Q) Golden Valley, MN: Many who oppose economic sanctions favor maintaining
military sanctions. In Mr. Butler's opinion, is the incremental value of
economic-plus-military sanctions (as opposed to military sanctions alone)
worth the demonstrated civilian cost?

Would Mr. Butler support de-linking military and economic sanctions?

(A) Richard Butler: If what is meant by this question is that military
sanctions would mean embargoing the export of weapons and materials for
manufacture of weapons of mass destruction, I think it is important that
such sanctions continue until we have a clear idea of the current status of
Iraq's weapons programs. And as I've said earlier, we now know that using
economic sanctions to bring about compliance in the weapons area does not
work. So de-linking would address the need to stop doing something that
isn't working.