UNSCOM expulsion/withdrawal

I have constructed a brief chronology (based on Butler's
book 'Saddam Defiant'), which you might find as a useful
reference point:

5 August 1998: Iraq suspends cooperation with UNSCOM and
IAEA re disarmament, maintaining that it had disarmed.

27 August 1998: Ritter resigns over illusory disarmament
being worse than none and over US spying via UNSCOM. [The
precise date might have been a day or so either side of
this, but it’s about right]

30 October: UN Security Council letter requiring compliance
before sanctions review.

31 October: Iraq suspends cooperation with UNSCOM and IAEA
re monitoring as well. UNSCOM staff remain in Iraq. [I’m
less sure about the exact movements of IAEA staff]

11 November: UNSCOM staff withdrawn to Bahrain as US makes
military threats.

14 November: Iraq declares resumption of cooperation with
UNSCOM and IAEA.

17 November: UNSCOM staff return to Iraq.

14 December: Butler report sent to Annan declaring Iraqi
cooperation unsatisfactory

14-15 December: UNSCOM staff withdrawn to Jordan and
Bahrain

15 December: Butler’s report received by UN
Security Council members.

16 December: Operation Desert Fox begins during Security
Council discussion of Butler’s report.

Subsequently [I don’t have a precise date to hand], Iraq
declares it will not allow UNSCOM to return in any
circumstances. There has been some continuing Iraqi
cooperation with the IAEA.

Eric
----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring