Re: Ronan: Memorial to deceased Muslim Iraqis = HARAM - illegal in Shariah Law

Thought I'd send this reply to the CASI and IAC groups, too, to see if
anyone had any comments regarding this.

I hadn't realised a memorial to muslims might be Haram.  I'll certainly
look into that, as Moonirah suggests.  And of course, I wouldn't put up
a memorial of any sort without consulting appropriate people (indeed, I
considered my original message to be part of that consultation, which is
why I asked for comments).  Before putting up a memorial I had intended
to consult Muslim friends on Islamic etiquette, so I would hopefully
have avoided the international incident you predict!

If the idea of a memorial is out, does that mean one cannot compile a
list of those murdered?  A memorial was secondary to my original idea of
a list of the dead that would stand as a testament to the evil of
sanctions.  However, I suppose this could be considered a memorial too.
As I understand, there are a fair few christians and other non-muslims
living under the sanctions regime, so a memorial to these people would
be possible.  Also, Moonirah, you say memorials to muslims are haram
under Shariah law.  Are there muslims for whom this isn't haram who
could have a memorial?

Anyway, at the moment this is all academic, as I haven't the time to
work on this, nor a list of names.  I'd appreciate any more comments on
this

Ronan