Re: Info urgently needed on Sanctions Committee and chemotherapy

Dear Eri:

Karol Sikora, Chief of the Cancer Programme of  the World
Health Organisation (WHO) and Professor of International
Cancer Medicine at Imperial College, London has alleged
that 'Requested radiotherapy equipment, chemotherapy drugs,
and analgesics are consistently blocked by United States
and British advisers. There seems to be a rather ludicrous
notion that such agents could be converted into chemical or
other weapons'[Karol Sikora, 'Cancer Services Are Suffering
in Iraq', British Medical Journal, vol. 318 (16 January
1999), p. 203. <http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/casi>.]
Apparently he and a WHO panel investigated this matter. I
have followed it up with Professor Sikora, and have
received a reply, but only a quick and inconclusive from
outside the UK. He informed me that the WHO did not
replace him and does not do work on cancer any more. The
Foreign Office maintain that his statement re blocking is
untrue. For what it's worth, I doubt that they are
consistently blocked now, although they may have been in
the past. Instead, I suspect that sometimes they get
delayed due to claims of dual use concerns and requirements
for reassurance on end user for each batch. You
can check the 'status of contracts' lists on the OIP
website, but even then the identification of commodities
for each contract is very opaque.

Certainly, at this stage no conclusive, demonstrable claim
can be made at this stage.

Best wishes

Eric

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000 19:49:22 +0200 Eri Garuti
<eri@deejay.it> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I urgently need to know how to proove that the 661 Committee blocks or has
> blocked medicines for chemioterapy.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance to all those who can give me any info about
> documents on this subject.
>
> Eri Garuti
> eri+AEA-deejay.it

----------------------