BBC: Richard Butler Attacks Sanctions !!!

This is such big news, I thought I'd re-flag E.J.'s original post with a few
exclamation marks ;-)  ... and add an additional URL for the full program.
In the following summary, the BBC correctly connects the dots between
Halliday, Ritter, Von Sponeck, Burghardt, and now Butler ... all former
high-ranking UN officials who have spoken out against sanctions.

The caller who prompted the exchange on sanctions was Naji Al-Saidi of
Germany, whose question began "Can you imagine yourself born as an Iraqi?
...".  (congratulations Mr. Al-Saidi !!).  In addition to the summary below,
a near-complete synopsis of the program is available here:
<http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_774000/774433.stm
>.

By the way, Ronan, I heard your call (great job) via streaming audio and my
understanding of Butler's response was that, yes, technically he did
withdraw the UNSCOM inspectors prior to the Dec-98 bombings (i.e., strictly
speaking they weren't kicked out).  However, in Butler's view, this is
really splitting hairs as per his conversation with Tariq Aziz, all
cooperation with UNSCOM had officially ended in August.

Regards,
Drew Hamre
Golden Valley, MN USA

===
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_777000/777306.stm

Sunday, 4 June, 2000, 21:31 GMT 22:31 UK
Ex-Unscom chief attacks sanctions

Richard Butler, the controversial former head of the United Nations arms
inspection team in Iraq, Unscom, has publicly criticised the sanctions
imposed on Baghdad after the Gulf War.
Speaking on the BBC's Talking Point on Air, Mr Butler said sanctions harmed
the Iraqi people and had not realised their declared aim of stripping Iraq
of weapons of mass destruction (WMDs).

He becomes the biggest name on a growing list of former UN employees
involved with Iraq who have pointed to fundamental flaws in the
organisation's Iraqi policies.

"I deeply believe that sanctions as now applied to Iraq have been utterly
counterproductive for this disarmament purpose," Mr Butler said.

Butler was accused by Iraq of being a tool of the US

He was responding to a question from an Iraqi caller from Germany who had
accused him of being instrumental in the imposition of "murderous" sanctions
against Iraq.

"I'm not trying to shirk responsibility.

"I'm not just splitting hairs by saying sanctions were not my
responsibility, I'm stating a fact," he said.

Confrontations

Mr Butler stressed that Unscom's job was solely to report to the UN Security
Council on progress towards Iraqi disarmament.

As the body's chief, Mr Butler was well known for confrontations with Iraqi
officials over access to weapons sites.

He was accused by Iraq of being a tool of the US, which Baghdad said had no
intention of lifting sanctions regardless of progress on disarmament.

Inspectors have not returned to Iraq since they withdrew in December 1998
ahead of a US-led bombing campaign, and Baghdad has refused to accept a
reconstituted inspection regime.

'Double standards'

Mr Butler put forward his theory, expounded in a recently published book,
that sanctions need to target the Iraqi leadership rather than the ordinary
people of Iraq.

He also suggested that unity and collective action by the Security Council
was vital, while divisions had stopped progress in disarmament which
benefited Baghdad.

Mr Butler also answered critics of "western double standards" towards Arab
states and Israel, which like Iraq has invaded its neighbours and maintains
a WMD arsenal.

He agreed there was a double standard, and Israel's nuclear weapons had been
a "source of very great difficulty" when it came to Unscom's work.

"In the last chapter of my book I make very clear that as we move towards
nuclear disarmament as we must that Israel's weapons have to be put on the
table," he said.

Mr Butler retired from Unscom in 1999 and is now Diplomat in Residence at
the Council on Foreign Relations in New York.