soc-casi-discuss

Dear list members,

I'm the new list manager of soc-casi-discuss.  You'll be encouraged
to know that the messages are now received by 250 people worldwide and a
further 570 subscribe to the lower volume CASI announcements lists.  A
significant number live or study in Cambridge, where CASI is based, and the
majority (by a small margin) are UK residents, but there are subscribers in
countries including Germany, Australia, Italy, Canada, the US, the Arab
Emirates, France, Cuba, South Africa, Switzerland, Finland, Spain, and
Russia.

We have always intended to keep a broadly UK focus for the list, mainly to
avoid
duplicating the work of the various US lists.  Perhaps we should be
reviewing that
policy and I would welcome members' comments at
soc-casi-discuss-managers@lists.cam.ac.uk

As things have got unusually out of hand over the last few days, I'm also
writing to ask subscribers to be careful about how they use the list:
-We ask that neither messages with attachments nor excessively long messages
should be sent to the list, and that the tone of discussions should remain
respectful.
-When replying to a message, please make sure that the original did actually
appear on soc-casi-discuss rather than being sent to you personally,
otherwise we only get half of conversations.  It is often more appropriate
to respond personally to a subscriber than to everyone.
-If you wish to be removed from the list please send a message to
soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk (as it says in the footer of each
message), rather than to the whole list.

This is the largest UK-based list on the sanctions and we think it usually
carries a high level of discussion and information.  As a result, it is read
by
people from the activist community, the interested public, academics,
journalists,
NGOs, politicians and religious communities. Please bear in mind the bulging
inboxes of your fellow list members so that the list will continue to be the
useful
resource I hope you find it.

Thank you for your co-operation, Ali.

Lists Manager, Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq
http://welcome.to/casi               fax: 0870 063 5022

Ali Draper                               tel: 077111 30570
Girton College
Cambridge, CB3 OJG