Patron of the Asean Confederation of Women's Organisations (ACWO)says 'Lift sanctions against Iraq'

http://sg.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/newspapers/nst/article.html?s=singapore/headlines/000505/newspapers/nst/_Lift_sanctions_against_Iraq_.html

Friday, May 5 6:30 PM SGT

National: `Lift sanctions against Iraq'

KUCHING, Thurs. - Asean countries should join forces to call for the
immediate removal of the 10-year-old economic sanctions imposed by the
United Nations Security Council on Iraq as it had caused undue suffering.
Calling for the lifting of the sanctions in the name of humanity, justice,
mankind and brotherhood, the patron of the Asean Confederation of Women's
Organisations (ACWO) Datuk Seri Dr Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali said today the
sanctions were most inhumane on children, who were deprived of essential
medicines, nutrition and medical treatment.

The sanctions had increased the rate of infant and child mortality,
mulnutrition and deformities, she said when delivering her keynote address
at the opening of the ACWO biennial general assembly and conference here.

"If the economic sanctions are intended to deny this right, then I think
that the world community, and the champions of human rights, must strongly
condemn these sanctions, and call for their immediate removal," said the
Prime Minister's wife.

The sanctions were imposed after Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990.

She hoped the conference delegates could formulate a draft of a new plan
of action

---
        ".. not to believe in the possibility of dramatic change is to
forget that things have changed, not enough, of course, but enough to show
what is possible. We have been surprised before in history. We can be
surprised again. Indeed, we can do the surprising."
        - Howard Zinn, 'You can't be neutral on a moving train.' (p.83)
                                                                        ----