Announcement for those of you in Cambridge, UK

Those of you who are in Cambridge may be interested in this advance notice
that I have invited Ann Clwyd MP here on Thursday 11 May.  Ann will be
talking about the International Criminal Court, which she has done a great
deal of work on.  I haven't publicised it properly yet as MPs have an
appalling habit of cancelling at the last minute due to Parliamentary
commitments, etc.  But all being well it will take place in the Lloyd Room
at Christ's College, 7 p.m.

I know that she is a controversial figure as far as anti-sanctions on Iraq
campaigners are concerned.  She is heavily involved in INDICT, the
legal organisation advised by Nick Stewart and other QC's from the Bar
Human Rights Committee, that aims to indict Saddam Hussein and other
Baath Party people if and, more likely, when the ICC comes into
operation.  I would be very glad of members of the university coming to
ask questions about this issue and sanctions on Iraq generally.  I will
also talk to Ann's office nearer the time and see what her schedule is in
case she has time for an extra private meeting.  I know that people have
very strong views on Ann's position on sanctions.  I would, however, ask
people to remember that she has been a tireless campaigner for human
rights ever since she entered Parliament, has opposed arms exports to
Indonesia and countries in the Middle East, taken a strong line in support
of Palestinians, supported animal rights causes (she currently has a
Private Member's Bill before Parliament to improve welfare standards
for hens) and was a leading campaigner against apartheid.  She is
therefore someone to work constructively with and who has a heartfelt
commitment to human rights and other compassionate issues.

ALAN BATES
Christ's College
St. Andrew's Street
Cambridge