Re: BIRMINGHAM ACTIVISTS MEETING * Preparations in full swing

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Rania Masri wrote:
To All Concerned,
        As someone from the U.S. who is interested in ending the
sanctions, let me just echo what was said below: The International Action
Center has done some great work and it would be well worth meeting with
someone from there.  While the aim of the meeting is to strengthen local
networks, this is also an opportunity to make transnational ones as
well.  It seems o me that this is key.  One reason the movement to ban
landmines was so successful on a global scale (with one exception being
the United States--we never seem to sign anything!), was that all of the
disparate groups working around the issue began working in together.
There are so many talented and compassionate people working around the
humanitarian crisis in Iraq, that meeting with each other and planning
with each other can only have positive results.
                                        Peace
                                        Andrew