Re: Delinking military sanctions:

In reference to 'blaming the victim', I think Drew's timely comments on the
anniversary of the Halabja chemical gas attacks,
underscore the crucial point that it is not the Iraqi government - the illegimate
Baathist regime - which is the victim, but the
people of Iraq: the Kurds, victims of a genocidal assault by Saddam, supplied by
Western industrialists, other Iraqis, by a
decade of sanctions.

As others have stated,  if we buy into the logic of  separating  military
sanctions from other sanctions, we are implicitly
supporting the untenable view that the goal of Western governments is to remove
the Baathist regime. It is not and never has
been. The sanctions, I argue, are a continuation and intensification of the
Kissinger policy of containment against Iraq. The
objectives of this policy remain to keep the Baathist regime strong enough to
repress its own population, strong enough to keep Iran busy, but too weak to
threaten Western allies in the region.

Any 'third way', I would argue depends not on how we define sanctions, but where
we place our solidarity. If it is with the Iraqi people, than there is no
question about opposing both the sanctions and the Baathist regime. To this end,
we do not need a
more sophisticated or humanitarian sanctions regime, but a more sophisticated and
humanitarian policy supporting  democracy
and human rights in Iraq.

Ben Rempel
Winnipeg, Canada