From: owner-adc-itf@leb.net [mailto:owner-adc-itf@leb.net]On Behalf Of
Matthew Williams
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 8:19 PM
To: ADC-ITF@leb.net
Subject: [ADC-ITF] old US News article on sanctions I mentioned

Here is the old US News & World Report article on sanctions I
mentioned--it's from June 1998. It does discuss Iraq briefly, and the
coverage is fair--better than one would expect from a mainstream
periodical. In any case, it says that during the 70s and 80s sanctions
were
only effective less than 1/5 of the time (it cites a "free" market think
tank as its source). I think this could potentially be a useful talking
point for us as a movement--that sanctions generally don't work,
explaining
that South Africa was an exception, etc. Unfortunately, this article
doesn't deal with why sanctions generally aren't successful--this would
be
interesting to know. I suspect that it many cases, the reasons are
similar
to Iraq: sanctions just hurts poor folks while leaving the elite
relatively
untouched, if annoyed; but that's simply my speculation.

It's worth noting that the article ends with a suggestion that offering
rewards to countries for cooperating might work better than trying to
punish them. The idea of the US rewarding other countries for good
behavior
is, of course, morally problematic, but it's an idea to present to more
mainstream people who want alternatives to sanctions.

-- Matt Williams

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: