Re: National Co-ordination of Anti-war Activity

Hi Jason

I am not on any committee and have no connection with Iraq. I have
been deeply concerned about the genocide in Iraq since the start. I
am also concerned about 'Imperialist' issues but I now never use
the term.

> At the last National Co-ordination Meeting of anti-sanctions groups

That's the key for me - it does not say 'and anti-war'.

More pragmatically, the more people and organisations that are
involved and the narrower the focus (criminal, humanitarian,
genocide, sanctions) the better chance we have of making
progress against sanctions (and such progress would help
undermine the imperialists).

In terms of civilian casualties sanctions far outweigh the illegal
bombings.

I would dearly love to get HRW and Amnesty actively fighting these
sanctions. Any sniff of anti-war or anti-imperialism and they would
disapppear.

It is quite possible to get middle of the road, establishment and
even right wingers to fight against sanctions. They need to be told
about the effects of sanctions and have the US/UK arguments
answered which is easy without having to resort to theories about
the underlying causes (eg imperialism).

Only very recently I came across a die-hard Republican-supporting
American (not a friend of mine!). He is anti-SH and believes in
direct military intervention, assassination, bombing etc and thought
that sanctions were a good thing. On being exposed to the facts
about sanctions he fairly soon came round to the view that non-
military sanctions should be lifted urgently. Even the control of oil
sales income he then disagreed with when we pointed out that this
produced a command economy - a communist model with no room
for capitalism!

>The only question is do these meetings need to run
> in parallel to the current National Co-rdination Meetings (NCM)

In parallel - reports from anti-war meetings can be shared with NCM
members.

> In essence, we cannot frame any events or discuss anything whilst
> maintaining a blanket ban on political discussion within the movement.

I can understand your frustration but I would support keeping the
ban. I wouldn't even allow time-limited sessions for political
discussion. The danger is that some people would become
alienated. Time would be wasted on 'framing' the events. You gave
two views of 1284. There are others possible. Only recently I had
the whole scenario explained to me just in the context of Israel.

I suppose a possible compromise would be to have one small
session which split into two separate groups - those wanting the
political discussion and those not.

A paraphrased casual discussion  with a former UK air force officer:

me: these bombings are useless. They cost money and achieve
nothing. Even worse, SH can trigger them when he wants.

him: we're not seen to initiate them and they serve to keep the
media and the public's eyes off the ball (the genocidal sanctions)

Mark Parkinson
Cornwall

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: