Re: cost of bombing

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Allen Hardy wrote:

> Please does anyone know how much Britain and the US spend on bombing
> Iraq, preferably per day? For whatever reason, the media seem unwilling
> to compare this cost directly with the inadequate aid sent to
> Mozambique, prefering to make vague references to military expenditure
> generally as if they don't even know what happening in Iraq.

Thanks Allen; I attach below an article from The Independent on Sunday
(30/1/2000)  citing a figure of over 1 million / week.  Alan Simpson, the
MP mentioned below, is responsible for Early Day Motion 252 (c.f.
http://edm.ais.co.uk/weblink/html/motion.html/ref=252) which was put on 12
January 2000.  It also uses the figure of 4.5 million / month.  I've
looked quickly through the preceding days of Hansard to see whether
that figure had been given as a written answer or in debate but have been
unable to find its source.

Colin Rowat

Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq
http://welcome.to/casi               fax 0870 063 5022

393 King's College            www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~cir20
Cambridge CB2 1ST             tel: +44 (0)468 056 984
England                       fax: +44 (0)870 063 4984

The Independent
Britain's secret war on Saddam costs taxpayer 1m a week

By Jo Dillon, Political Correspondent

Intense military activity over Iraq during the past month has increased
concern among back-bench Labour MPs that the Government's campaign against
Saddam Hussein is gaining pace. The MPs are dismayed that the "hidden war"
in the Gulf - which is costing British taxpayers 4.5m every month - shows
no signs of abating.

The military campaign, being waged by Britain and the United States, has
been going on since the end of Operation Desert Fox in December 1998.
Yesterday, the Ministry of Defence confirmed that British aircraft are
flying in "dangerous" conditions almost every day.

In the final month of last year, a higher than average 200 sorties were
flown by RAF pilots - a period in which six laser-guided bombs were
dropped on strategic targets in Iraq.

In the past year, the RAF, patrolling the northern "no-fly zone", has been
threatened by the Iraqis 570 times and has dropped a total of 134 bombs in
response to hostile fire.

The Americans, patrolling the south, have taken action 69 times in
response to more than 420 incidents of Iraqi anti-aircraft artillery fire
or surface-to-air missile fire.

But there is growing concern among a group of Labour MPs that the military
action is unnecessary and costly as well as having an adverse effect on
ordinary people living in Iraq.

They are now demanding that the international community rethinks its
policy in the Gulf, and Britain and the US pull out troops, numbering more
than 20,000, out of the region.

Labour's Alan Simpson is a leading critic of the war. "This is the hidden
war against Iraq which is now almost akin to punishment beatings," he
said.

"This is what is going on and the firing of missiles which rain down on
Iraq are just acts of punishment and it is difficult to see what moral,
ethical or military sense any of it makes."

According to Mr Simpson, the level of child mortality in Iraq has doubled
since the end of the Gulf War in 1996 due to a combination of air strikes
and economic sanctions.

He said: "I think the international community really needs to step back
and ask itself what the hell is going on."

In Britain, he said, people were not being told about the situation,
despite the huge publicity surrounding the air strikes against Saddam's
Iraq in 1998 and the campaign in Kosovo.

"No one knows, no one cares and we are currently spending a colossal
amount of money peppering Iraq on a daily basis."

But the MoD insists the continued military presence in the Gulf and the
attacks on Iraq are a direct response to violations of the no-fly zones;
the fear that Saddam Hussein will continue to build up weapons of mass
destruction without the supervision of UN inspectors; threats to allied
aircraft, and a response to the persecution of Kurds and Shia Muslims.

"We would always target the Iraqi integrated air defence system, radar and
surface-to-air missile sites. We take every care to avoid civilian
casualties," an MoD spokesman said.

"We will be maintaining these patrols and as long as Saddam continues to
threaten our aircraft we will be forced to take defensive action. We have
been fired on on many occasions.  Fortunately, to date, we have not lost
crew but it is a very dangerous environment for our pilots to be operating
in."

--
Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website:
http://welcome.to/casi