Tough on Iraq

All,

This wonderful Letter-to-the-Editor, from our good friend, James P.
Rubin, appears in Monday's Washington Post. You can get in
touch with Mr. Rubin at: (202) 647-7191 & publicaffairs@panet.us-
state.gov
You can also write a letter for the State Department's in-house
magazine at:
www.state.gov/www/publications/statemag/statemag_sep98/email.h
tml

Tough on Iraq
Monday, February 28, 2000; Page A14

I respectfully disagree with the headlines on a Feb. 25
front-page story: "U.S. Looks at Easing Sanctions on Iraq"
and inside, "U.S. Studies Easing Curbs on Trade With Iraq."
In December the U.N. Security Council passed Resolution
1284. A full 17 paragraphs in that document relate to
improvement of the humanitarian programs run by the
United Nations in Iraq--the "oil-for-food" program. Saddam
Hussein is far from complying with international obligations,
and thus sanctions will continue, a judgment endorsed by
the Security Council when it passed the resolution.

It is right and responsible to ease the plight of the people of
Iraq while using sanctions to deny money, weapons and
dual-use technology to the regime in Baghdad. This is
precisely what we are doing. This is smart policy, not
easing sanctions. The United States is, and will remain,
second to none in enforcing sanctions and exercising
vigilance over the oil-for-food program.

JAMES P. RUBIN
Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs
U.S. Department of State
Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: