Head of Iraq Inspection Agency Resigns

Dear friends,

This is the fourth resignation of a leading UN official: first, Denis
Halliday, the humanitarian coordinator in Iraq resigns, then two years,
his successor Hans von Sponeck, and Jutta Burghardt, the head of the
U.N.'s World Food Program in Iraq, resign, and now - the acting
executive-chairman of the UN agency responsible for Iraqi disarmament has
resigned.  We should also remember that Scott Ritter, a former
weapons-inspector, also resigned two years ago and has been speaking out
against the economic sanctions on Iraq.

Charles Duelfer has resigned "rather than work for a successor agency that
will continue inspections and monitoring of Iraqi programs." (see AP
article below) This is truly empowering news.

Let's share any additional information we can find, and also publicize
this news to our local media outlets.  Both humanitarian officials and
weapons-inspectors have resigned rather than continue their work
within the frameworks of this poilcy against Iraq.

-Rania Masri
-----------------

Iraq Inspection Agency Head Resigns
Friday, 25-Feb-2000 6:40PM
Copyright 2000 by The Associated Press

UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- The acting executive-chairman
of the U.N. agency that was responsible for disarming
Iraq since 1991 said Friday he has resigned rather
than work for a successor agency that will continue
inspections and monitoring of Iraqi programs.

Charles Duelfer, an American, submitted his letter of
resignation as acting head of the U.N. Special
Commission on Iraq to Secretary-General Kofi Annan on
Thursday.

He said he planned to leave his post by Wednesday --
the day the new U.N. Monitoring, Verification and
Inspection Commission, headed by Hans Blix starts its
work.

``I can help, more by my absence,'' said Duelfer,
adding that he has no definite future plans.

Duelfer took over running the Special Commission in
June, after its executive chairman, Richard Butler of
Australia, left to become a diplomat-in-residence at
the Council on Foreign Relations, the New York-based
think tank.

The commission was created in 1991 to oversee the
destruction of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction -- a
requirement under the U.N. resolutions that ended the
Gulf War.

Inspections ground to a halt, however, in December
after the United States and Britain launched
airstrikes to punish Baghdad for failing to cooperate
with arms experts.

The commission, which was also tainted by allegations
the United States used it to spy on Baghdad, was
replaced in December by a new inspection agency, the
U.N. Monitoring, Verification and Inspection
Commission, known as UNMOVIC.

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: