From: Andrew Zurcher <aez20@cus.cam.ac.uk>
To: <soc-casi-discuss@lists.cam.ac.uk>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2000 11:07 AM
Subject: Nobel Laureates' Appeal

The text of the appeal, downloaded from the nobelweb.org site
(http://www.nobelweb.org/eng/index.htm), reads as below.  This is obviously
a bit different from the message that was circulated recently; perhaps
someone did a bit of creative modification, and added a few signatories.

andrew

FOR THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD

    Today, in every single country throughout the world, there are many
children silently suffering the effects and consequences of violence.

    This violence takes many different forms : between children on streets,
at school, in family life and in the community. There is physical violence,
psychological violence, socio-economic violence, environmental violence and
political violence. Many children - too many children - live in a "culture
of violence".

    We wish to contribute to reduce their suffering. We believe that each
child can discover, by himself, that violence is not inevitable. We can
offer hope, not only to the children of the world, but to all of humanity,
by beginning to create, and build, a new Culture of Nonviolence.

    For this reason, we address this solemn appeal to all Heads of States,
of all member countries of the General Assembly of the United nations, for
the UN General Assembly to declare:

    That the first decade of the new millennium, the years 2001-2010, be
declared the "Decade for a Culture of Nonviolence";

    That at the start of the decade the year 2000 be declared the "Year of
Education for Nonviolence";

    That nonviolence be taught at every level in our societies during this
decade, to make the children of the world aware of the real, practical
meaning and benefits of nonviolence in their daily lives, in order to
reduce the violence, and consequent suffering, perpetrated against them and
humanity in general.

    Together, we can build a new culture of nonviolence for humankind which
will give hope to all humanity, and in particular, to the children of our
world.

    With deepest respect,

    The Nobel Peace Prize Laureates

    Signed by : Mairead Maguire Corrigan, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa,
Aung San Suu Kyi, The 14th Dalaď Lama (Tenzin Gyatso), Mikhail Sergeyevich
Gorbachev, Shimon Peres, Elie Wiesel, Mgr. Desmond Mpilo Tutu, Adolfo Pérez
Esquivel, Yasser Arafat, Mgr. Carlos Felipe Ximenes Belo, José Ramos-Horta,
Norman Borlaug, Oscar Arias Sánchez, UNICEF, Frederik Willem de Klerk,
Betty Williams, Lech Walesa, Joseph Rotblat, Henry Kissinger, Jody
Williams, John Hume, David Trimble, Rigoberta Menchu Tum and the American
Friends Society
Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website:

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: