Human Rights Watch position on Iraq sanctions

As a person who has for a long time studied the legal aspects of the
Iraq sanctions, I wish to comment on Joe Stork's defense of HRW's
position.  My comments are made with reference to Joe Stork's letter
to Nathan Geffen which was forwarded to me as member of a mailing
list.

On #1
I tend to concur with Joe's legal and substantive findings regarding
the US/UK bombing campaign.  From the point of human rights per se,
these bombings are not an issue. They are however an act of war for
which humanitarian law is applicable (as correctly identified by
Joe).   Joe seems moreover credible in maintaining that the number of
civilian casulties in Chechnia is far greater than that of the US/UK
bombings on Iraq.  Having said that, it must emphasized that the
bombings against Iraq by the US/UK are gross violations of
international law and constitute, as I see it, blatant breaches of
the UN Charter.  To refrain from pointing to this gross illlegality
(which under the terms of the Nurnberg Charter would also be
criminal) and merely stating that such bombings "may well be illegal"
is far from satisfactory from an organisation such as HRW.  Would Joe
have considered aerial bombings of locations within the United States
by Iraqi planes as "may be illegal", had the Iraqis the capabilities
to inflict such harm and claiming that the US is the most dangerous
power for world peace (which it clearly is) ? Or does the legalitly
merely hinges on the subjective determination (by whom ?)  of the
identity of the "most dangerous" state ?  And further can a human
rights organisation waive aside a blatant breach of the Charter as
irrelevant from a human rights perspective ?

On #2
a. I beg to seriously differ with Joe and HRW on the question of
Iraqi responsibility for the consequences of the sanctions.  It must
be obvious that the Iraqi government has neither decided to impose
sanctions on Iraq nor consulted whether it aggrees for Iraqi foreign
trade to be controlled by a UN Committee nor does it willingly
participate in the implementation of the sanctions.  It is entirely
on the receiving end of acts decided and implemented by other states.
For this specific reason it cannot be held accountable for acts
committed and implemented by others and which are clearly violations
of human rights (even if such violations are justified on
considerations of 'world peace').

b. There is however a reason for CRITICIZING the Iraqi authorities
for not defending the Iraqi population by all means at its disposal,
including demanding that the legality of the sanctions be subject to
an independent legal review, say by the ICJ, that those who impose
the death of Iraqi children through sanctions be brought to justice
for international criminal acts, and perhaps by calling upon UN
member states to opt out unilaterally of the sanctions regime and
defy the illegal and criminal sanctions.  I believe that there Iraqis
who do make such criticism. And I suspect that the reason for this
failure of the Iraqi authorities to act more forcefully on behalf of
their people, is that they are not overly concerned about the rule of
law, neither internal nor international.  In this respect - but
mainly in this respect - the Iraqi authorities can be condemned. But
such condemnation is moral, not legal.  Legally, I submit that those
who have chosen, among various alternatives, to impose and maintain
for many years a COMPREHENSIVE trade sanctions regime targeting the
entire population of a country, are legally responsible for the
adverse consequences of such acts.

c. As for the question of intent, we cannot merely assess verbal
disclaimers but the extent, the timing and the substance of the acts
committed. Such assessment shows that the acts (imposition of the
sanctions with their ghastly details) were neither accidental, nor
spontaneous, but premeditated and maintained in spite of evidence of
increased child death and other grave harm. The sanctions were from
the onset targeting the civilian population as such, thus violating
the most fundamental humanitarian principle (of not targeting
civilian populations).  By assorting the various "oil-for-food-
arrangements with extraneous conditions, such as the removal of 30 %
of Iraqi exports earnings for war reparations and monies for UN
operations, the UN SC  breached the spirit of humanitarian principles
(such principles do not permit belligerents to assort relief actions
with political and extraneous conditions).  The UNSC displayed its
bad faith by not allowing for a long time a vast array of items of
civilian use, thus negating the human rights of the Iraqi civilian
population to education, health, development and freedom of travel.
There is therefore, in my opinion, prima facie evidence of bad faith
by the UNSC (and the UN/UK) which discredits the disclaimer against
"intent".  There is hardly a case to be made that acts pursued
systematically for 9 years and which have shown great harm from the
first day, are not meant to harm.  Whether the "intent to harm"
includes the killing of half a million children, is another question,
but we must recognize that the very imposition of comprehensive
economic sanctions against a given population is certainly sufficient
evidence of an "intent to harm" that population (or incite it to
rebel - which in that case would constitute a blatant and gross form
of international terrorism).

On #3
I concur with Joe on the necessity, under international law (and
ethics) to call for the trial of Iraqi public officials for various
crimes against humanity and war crimes.  I think however that in
order to remove the taint of "victors' justice', it would be
important that such a call be made by an impartial judicial body,
willing and mandated to assess the crimes committed by the US/UK and
other countries against the people of Iraq through acts committed in
the Gulf War and the sanctions.  It would be a perversion of justice
if those who have caused the death of half a million Iraqi children
(and even if they were "merely" 100.000) would not be indicted while
Iraqi officials would.  I therefore urge on Joe and HRW to reconsider
its unilateral condemnation of Iraqi officials.  One way out of this
dilemma (if HRW does not concur that the sanctions are criminal acts)
would be to demand that an international inquiry commission be
established, with international lawyers from non-belligerent
countries, from the ICJ and from the belligerent countries, would be
represented, as well as observers from various human rights
organistions, in view of determining the legal responsibilities of
the various parties with regards to international humanitarian and
human rights law in Iraq and surrounding countries.  Surely the terms
of reference and the composition of such a body are crucial, but this
should not too a difficult problem.  Such an approach would be much
more in tune with an objective approach towards the subject-matter
and would give HRW a lease on life in this matter.

(as a short rejoinder, I agree with Joe that one cannot put on the
same foot those who commit crime with those who abet those crimes or
refuse to condemn them).  Complicity is surely and most often a
lesser crime than that of the Principals.

On #4 and #5 I do not wish to intervene in the discussion at this stage.

Elias Davidsson
Iceland

Elias Davidsson - Post Box 1760 - 121 Reykjavik - Iceland
Tel. (00354)-552-6444     Fax: (00354)-552-6579
Email: edavid@veda.is     URL:  http://www.juscogens.org
Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: