Re: reply on Iraq sanctions

Joe Stork does not state if these are his own views or the views of the
Human Rights Watch.

Most of his comments could be challenged but I will restrict myself to a
couple:

In #2 he states that .." After all, there is no "convincing evidence of
Security Council attempts to worsen the food and medicine shortage"
either,
but that was certainly the result of their policies, as it has been the
consequences of Iraqi policies as well."

Could Joe Stork please list for our benefit the Iraqi "policies" that
caused the death of over 1.5 million people ? I am very curious to know
which Iraqi
policy is responsible for killing 6000 children each month.

One of biggest problems with the HRW's statement is that while the UN
Security Council (meaning the US and UK) whose sanctions policy has
resulted in the death of over 1.5 million people are being asked to only
"restructure" the sanctions policy, the Iraqi leadership on the other
hand is to be tried as war
criminals! I have to tell you that I find this double standard quite
astounding!

In #5 he says, "Because of the lack of credible independent studies,
from
Iraq or elsewhere, HRW has not determined that DU use contravenes
humanitarian
law standards."

It doesn't look like HRW is too much concerned about the plight of
people of Iraq and Yugoslavia who were subjected to DU bombing! Who
is preventing HRW to do its own investigations ? Has the HRW called on
reputable organisations to send teams of expert to Iraq to investigate?

Overall, Joe Stork's response is far more disappointing and even
decitful that
HRW's original statement.

sandeep

Joe Stork wrote:

> Dear friends
>
> Some weeks ago you posted a letter sent by Nathan Geffen to me,
> critiquing HRW's intervention on Iraq sanctions. I attach here my
> response, which has already been sent to Nathan Geffen, and would
> appreciate it if you could give it equivalent exposure to hisoriginal.
>
> thanks in advance
> Joe Stork
>
> Dear Nathan Geffen,
>
> Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to HRW's intervention on Iraq
> sanctions. I apologize for not responding earlier. We're glad you find
> it "for the most part" commendable. For the rest, I have a few comments
> disagree at least regards some of those.
>
> 1. US/UK bombing campaign:
> Bombing without a UN mandate does not constitute a human rights abuse
> per se. It may well be illegal, but that is something else, as is the
> question of whether it represents sound policy. The pertinent human
> rights question is whether these attacks are conducted in a manner
> consistent with humanitarian law, in terms of proportionality and
> diligence to avoid harming civilians and civilian objects. In other
> words, the fact of civilian casualties does not automatically translate
> into violations of humanitarian law. This would be the case only if such
> casualties were the result, for example, of deliberate targeting, or
> recklessness, or disproportionate force with regard to the immediate
> military objectives.
>  Scrutiny of such a campaign would be appropriate whether or not there
> is a UN mandate. It is certainly not out of line to call for an
> investigation of the civilian impact of these attacks. As you are
> probably aware, the Iraq chapter in our latest World Report, published
> in early December, includes some reporting on the bombing, but Human
> Rights Watch has not up to this point attempted the sort of
> investigation that would allow us to make an informed judgement. Based
> on the information that is available, we have seen no grounds for
> believing that these attacks have constituted violations on the scale of
> Russian practices in Chechnya.
>  As you are no doubt aware, the UN Coordinator in Iraq, Hans von
> Sponeck, has insisted that reporting on the civilian impact of the
> bombing be considered part of his brief, much to the annoyance of
> Washington and Whitehall. His tallies of casualties are admittedly based
> mainly on reports of the official Iraq News Agency, but include some
> reporting by UN staff and would probably represent a fair place to start
> in gathering information on this matter.
>
> 2. Iraqi government responsibility
> Our intervention was not based on an independent investigation of the
> impact of sanctions on civilians, and we make no claim otherwise. It is
> based on our evaluation of the available reports from UN and other
> agencies, and interviews with individuals working with those agencies.
> It may also help to refer to what we actually say about Iraqi
> [...]
Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: