[Iraq_L] SPORTS: Kuwait Launch Sporting Embargo against Iraq

From: NK <nick4idu@yahoo.com>

Kuwait launch sporting embargo against Iraq
Wednesday, 26-Jan-2000 3:10PM

DUBAI, Jan 26 (AFP) - The Kuwaiti government have
launched a sporting embargo against Iraq in a bid to
free prisoners held since the Iraqi invasion a decade
ago, Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahd al-Sabah, head of the
Kuwaiti Olympic Committee confirmed Wednesday.

"I think that we can free our brothers detained in
Iraq, by putting sporting pressure on the Iraqi
regime," Sheikh Ahmed told a press conference in
Dubai.

Kuwait are demanding the immediate liberation of some
600 of its citizens and other nationals they claim are
being held since the Iraqi withdrawal after nine
months' occupation in February 1991.

"We believe that the sports embargo played a decisive
role in the question of apartheid in South Africa and
the Israeli occupation of our Arab territories. These
measures had great success," he said.

Sheikh Ahmed said that while Kuwait would continue to
participate along with Iraq in events organised under
the auspices of the International Olympic Committee
they would not participate in Arab competitions.

"We have reservations about Arab competitions which
are within the scope of the Arab League, a political
organization, because our participation can be
exploited politically by the Baghdad regime," he
added.

Kuwait have systematically boycotted most Arab
sporting events in which Iraq have participated since
Iraqi forces invaded and occupied Kuwait for seven
months before their expulsion in February 1991 by a
US-led international coalition.

Iraq admits they did take prisoners following their
retreat, but claim they lost trace of them during
Shiite unrest in 1991 in the south of the country.

They claim that a 1,000 of their citizens went missing
in Kuwait.

http://im.yahoo.com

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. Rates as low as 2.9 percent
Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards
Points, no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the
credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at