Re: Estimates: Iraqi Gulf War Casualties

I found this on the FAIR web site:
http://www.fair.org/extra/best-of-extra/slaughter-not-us.htm

"Slaughter" Is Something
Other Countries Do

The end of saturation coverage of the Gulf War has left some journalists feeling nostalgic. "Mark
Thompson, defense correspondent for Knight-Ridder
Newspapers, says his days feel shapeless without the comforting rhythm of the morning briefing from
Riyadh and the afternoon session at the Pentagon,"
according to the Washington Post's Howard Kurtz (3/25/91).

"There's nothing better for a journalist than to know what the story of the day is," Thompson told
Kurtz. "The worst thing for reporters is to mope around
sifting through ashes looking for a story, and that's what everyone is doing now."

Thompson should be pleased with coverage in March and April: Reporters were generally able to avoid
ash-sifting in favor of dutifully reporting the story of
the day. The main theme was the violence being inflicted on the Iraqi people by the Iraqi
government -- somehow a more interesting subject than the violence
inflicted on the Iraqi people by the U.S. government.

"Americans are appalled by the spectacle of Iraqi forces slaughtering Kurds and Shiites," wrote New
York Times columnist Leslie Gelb (3/31/91). Why were
they appalled by those killings, and not the several-times greater death toll inflicted by U.S.
bombing? Was it because mass media outlets played down
reports by refugees fleeing U.S. bombs, and played up those featuring Iraqi guns? Or because
commentators like Gelb scrupulously avoided using words like
"slaughter" to describe damage caused by their own government?

NBC's John Chancellor (3/20/91) similarly lamented that Saddam Hussein was "slaughtering his own
people" -- an act presumably much worse than
slaughtering someone else's people, since Chancellor managed to not use the word "slaughter" during
the six weeks that U.S.-led forces were killing as many
as 30,000 Iraqis per week. CNN Crossfire co-host Patrick Buchanan displayed concern for Iraqi
victims only after the U.S. quit doing the killing: "Is George
Bush going to stand by while Saddam Hussein kills tens of thousands of Iraqis?"

A news analysis in the New York Times (3/31/91) carried the headline "'Clean Win' in the War With
Iraq Drifts Into a Bloody Aftermath." "Clean win," a
quote from Colin Powell, was not used ironically -- the lead used the phrase "clean win" as an
accurate description of a victory that "was being soiled by the
bloodbath it had unleashed inside Iraq."

Reporting on atrocities by Iraq has been specific and graphic, while accounts of damage caused by
the U.S. were vague and abounded in euphemisms.
Maintaining the embargo with the aim of causing famine and epidemic in Iraq was described by the
New York Times (3/22/91) as a policy of "making life
uncomfortable for the Iraqi people," in order to "encourage them to remove" Saddam from power.

A chart titled "Re-examining the Toll" (New York Times, 3/25/91) included detailed breakdowns on
Iraqi losses of tanks, artillery and armored personnel
carriers -- but no mention of human life. The Iraqi people also disappeared in a Washington Post
chart listing U.S. casualties (Americans killed, wounded,
missing or taken prisoner) along with "Iraqi losses" (2,085 tanks, 962 armored vehicles, 1,005
artillery pieces, 103 aircraft destroyed).

To find the human toll caused by U.S. weapons, one often had to look in the nooks and crannies --
like U.S. News & World Report's "Washington
Whispers" page (4/1/91), which featured this one-paragraph item, captioned "The Grim Math":
"Although top U.S. commanders last week estimated that Iraq
suffered at least 100,000 military deaths during the war, other sources in the Gulf say the final
total -- including civilian fatalities -- will be at least twice
that. These sources say the allied aerial attacks inflicted far more casualties than previously
thought."

The report of a possible 200,000 dead took up little more than an inch of space. At that rate, the
Nazi Holocaust against the Jews would take up about 30
inches -- and could almost be contained on one page in U.S. News & World Report.