Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:46:32 -0600
Sender: "Speeches/Testimonies by the U.S. Secretary of State Distribution List"
<DOSSEC@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU>
From: "U.S. State Department" <stategov@UIC.EDU>
Subject:      000102 Albright on NBC's Meet the Press
Comments: To: dossec@uic.edu
To: DOSSEC@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU

Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
Interview on NBC's "Meet The Press" With Tim Russert and Andrea Mitchell
Washington, DC, January 2, 2000
As released by the Office of the Spokesman U.S. Department of State, January 3, 2000

MR. RUSSERT: Another difficult area, Iraq. One year ago, the
inspectors were told, "Get out," by Saddam Hussein. Do you
believe that Saddam Hussein has more weapons of mass
destruction now than he did a year ago?

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: Well, we are very obviously concerned
about his ability to reconstitute and we are keeping him in
his box and the no-fly zones are being monitored and, as you
know, we occasionally have to take military action as our
planes are illuminated or our pilots are in danger.

We are concerned about the fact that there are not
inspectors on the ground and, as you know, we tried at the
United Nations to ensure that that would happen. There is a
new resolution which requires the inspectors to go in and
that is the law, the international law at this stage. Saddam
Hussein has turned that down. And we, obviously, have
reserved the right that if we see that he has or is
reconstituting his weapons of mass destruction, that we can
take action on that.

We want to make -- we have set up a regime whereby the
inspectors could go in and that is the way that Saddam
Hussein could make sure that sanctions might be suspended.

MR. RUSSERT: Let me show you what the President said a year
ago and get your sense of it as we look at it today: "A
rather scary threat to regional stability becomes
increasingly alarming. Iraq's dictator, Saddam Hussein is
successfully staving off attempts at the United Nations to
reinstate weapons inspectors in his country."

One year ago, President Clinton himself summed up the likely
consequences of allowing Mr. Hussein to go uninspected for
too long. "Mark my words, he will develop weapons of mass
destruction, he will deploy them, he will use them."

It's been more than a year. Aren't we concerned what Saddam
has done this past year?

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: We are obviously concerned. As I said, I
think that we have been successful in keeping him in his box
and in terms of the threat to the region. We worked very
hard on this resolution. We think it is unfortunate that
Saddam Hussein has not taken advantage of it because it -

MR. RUSSERT: And the Russians, French and Chinese oppose us.

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: Well, they abstained. But what's
interesting here, Tim, in their as they call it explanation
of vote at the United Nations, they made clear that they
believed that Saddam Hussein must abide by what the United
Nations -- the resolution is.

MR. RUSSERT: And if he doesn't, what happens?

SECRETARY ALBRIGHT: I think that we still continue to have
the possibilities that we've had before of taking unilateral
or multilateral action if we need to. But I think we should
-- I can't say that we have accomplished everything we've
wanted with Iraq. But we, I think, are on the right track in
terms of keeping them, as I've said, in the box, of working
with the opposition and working towards regime change, and
making quite clear to the neighboring countries and to the
rest of the world and our partners at the United Nations
that what Saddam Hussein is doing is unacceptable.

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: