Re: CASI and/or MEMBERS COMMENTS PLEASE

> Evening all ! Can any members please tell me why, if true, that
> whisky$ is delivered to the regime when their dying people have no
> clean water ?  At public meetings this was not said. Also, in
> Resolution 1284 it mentions Tripartite Commission and people to be
> returned to Kuwait - what do you say on that as an aspect of the
> fight to completely lift sanctions ?

I would not make the return of these Kuwaitis a condition of lifting
the sanctions which are killing so many Iraqis. I'm sure if the West
were to seek to normalise relations with Iraq (and indeed SH) and
enter into dialogue (jaw-jaw not war-war) then this problem would
be resolved. As I understand it, H.E.L.P which is campaigning for
their release does not seek to make their release a condition of
lifting sanctions.

> IRAQ: House of Commons Hansard Debates for 29th June 1999
> 10.39 pm. (Mr Geoffrey Hoon)

Geoffrey has been promoted for his highly effective part in
supporting our highly unethical foreign policy. As usual it is what is
not said that is important.

> Iraq has already used
> chemical weapons extensively against Iran and against its own
> Kurdish civilians, at Halabja, in March 1998, attacking them with
> mustard gas and the nerve agent Tabun and killing thousands in the
> process.

The wrong year! What Goeffrey does not say is that we were
supporting Iraq at the time and that when the reports of these
atrocities surfaced our lot did their best to ignore and suppress
these reports.

> Nor should we forget that more than 600 Kuwaitis and others
> detained  by Iraq during the Gulf War are still unaccounted for.
> That represents about 0.1 per cent of the Kuwaiti population: to
> us, the equivalent would be about 50,000 British citizens
> unaccounted for.

It is very hard for us to say with any moral authority how nasty the
Iraqi government is when we have presided over a war which
murdered retreating soldiers and targetted the country's civilian
infrastructure followed by sanctions which have killed over 1 million
of a population of 20 million (5%). Did Geoffrey ever state any
figures for Iraq or indeed how many were killed in the Gulf War? Did
he tell us how many civilians were killed by the Kuwaiti police and
others when the Iraqis retreated out of Kuwait.

> My honourable friend is right to be concerned about the humanitarian
> situation in Iraq - the Government are also concerned, but we
> reject the propaganda that seeks to hold the UN sanctions regime to
> blame. Let me remind my honourable friend once again that food,
> medicines and goods for essential civilian needs are not prohibited
> under sanctions. That means Iraq can and does import, for example,
> food, medicines, bandages, pencils, ambulances, chemotherapy drugs,
> educational materials, medical journals and school desks.  Claims
> that the United Nations, or the United Kingdom itself blocks those
> goods are nonsense.

Again Geoffrey is telling the truth but not the whole truth! Iraq needs
to BUY these items. It's only significant export is oil which is strictly
controlled and then we see these items being effectively prohibited
by the UNSC committee. Iraq cannot buy freely what it considers
necessary for its people. Why else do Iraqis still die because of
untreated water?

Do you know what happens in the UK if you buy some urgently
needed medicines and try to post them to someone who needs
them in Iraq?

> Meanwhile, the Iraqi regime continues to import large
> quantities of whisky$ and cigarettes - since 1st January 1999, more
> than 53,000 cartons of cigarettes have been delivered to Iraq. >

This is part of the propaganda war aged so effectively by our
government. Compared to feeding and caring for 20 million people
this is insignificant. Are these black market imports by gangs and
individuals?

Mark Parkinson
Cornwall

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: