Ambassador Peter Burleigh On "Oil-For-Food" (3 Dec. 1999)

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 15:08:22 -0600

Speeches/Testimonies" <<DOSSDO@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU> From: "U.S. State Department" <<stategov@UIC.EDU>
Subject: 991203 Burleigh re: oil-for-food program
Comments: To: dossdo@UIC.EDU
To: DOSSDO@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU

U.S. Department of State
Ambassador A. Peter Burleigh
Deputy Permanent Representative
U.S. Mission to the United Nations

"Oil-for-Food" Security Council
December 3, 1999
Oil-for-Food Program

The United States has a deep and enduring interest in the welfare of Iraqi citizens living under
the regime of Saddam Hussein. We took a leading role in shaping the Oil-for-Food program from its
original conception shortly after the liberation of Kuwait in 1991. We note with satisfaction the
documented success of this important humanitarian effort. Oil-for-Food is the largest humanitarian
assistance effort in
United Nations history, and it has brought about a significant
improvement in living conditions for the civilian population throughout Iraq.

As all of you know, normal United Nations operations are ongoing
throughout Iraq. Despite the Iraqi government's unjustified recent decision to curtail authorized
oil production and exports, large quantities of humanitarian supplies continue arriving in the
country on a daily basis. There has been no disruption of humanitarian assistance under the
Oil-for-Food program, and it is a matter of the utmost importance that the program continue without
disruption.

For that reason, we applaud the action the Council has taken today in acting to extend phase VI of
the program for 7 days, through December 11. This resolution ensures that essential humanitarian
assistance can continue while the Security Council prepares for adoption of a comprehensive
resolution on Iraq next week. Adoption of that resolution, which includes many important provisions
bearing on the next Oil-for-Food program, will clear the way for action on a full 6-month extension
of the program a week from now. That resolution will represent the culmination of many months of
work by the Council, and needs to be in place before we turn our attention to authorizing a full
phase VII of Oil-for-Food.

We also commend the leadership of the Office of the Iraq Program in managing the Oil-for-Food
program, especially in light of the obstacles recently erected by the Iraqi regime. We call upon
the government of Iraq to cease the cynical posturing we have seen over the past 2 weeks, to resume
authorized oil production and exports without delay, and to cooperate fully with the program during
the coming week and in the future.

In closing, I could recall that the Oil-for-Food program, as
established by the Council in Resolution 986, is a temporary measure. It was never intended to
usurp the primary responsibility for meeting civilian needs in Iraq, which continues to reside with
the government of that country. The United Nations has been compelled to take this temporary
measure because of the blatant disregard which the Iraqi regime has demonstrated for the well-being
of the Iraqi people. The United States will continue to support the uninterrupted continuation
of this program as long as it remains necessary for the international community to address urgent
civilian needs which the Iraqi government chooses to ignore.

Full archive and list instructions are available from the CASI website: