R: Oil for Food - What's going on?

If it's true, as I heard, that the idea was to have a time period of 2 weeks
instead of 6 months for the Oil-for-food, I have no doubt that Iraq was
right to refuse+ACE-

Thanks to all of you in advance for further info on this subject.

Eri Garuti

Oggetto: Re: Oil for Food - What's going on?

+AD4APg- It was reported yesterday, both on CNN and on German State TV that the
+AD4APg- Oil for food programme has been suspended after Iraq refused to a
+AD4APg- shortening of the time period for which the extension is valid. This
+AD4APg- development is to me just as surprising as it is worrying. Does this now
+AD4APg- mean that for the time being even the meagre resources of this aid will
+AD4APg- be cut off, leaving the Iraqi people with nothing at all? As I said this
+AD4APg- took me completely by surprise and I would appreciate if anyone could
+AD4APg- let me know:
+AD4APg- 1) Is this as serious as it seems ?
+AD4APg- 2) Is there any chance of a quick solution to the problem before the
+AD4APg- flow of aid to Iraq is cut completely?
+AD4-
+AD4-Thanks Sean,
+AD4-
+AD4-I think that this move is primarily for show and will not have many
+AD4-practical consequences: Iraq's escrow account still has billions of
+AD4-dollars in it+ADs- it is also possible that the terminals from which oil is
+AD4-exported have some days of supplies present.
+AD4-
+AD4-It certainly seems to me to be a political gamble (I keep wishing that the
+AD4-Iraqi government would make our job easier) as not even Russia is publicly
+AD4-supporting them.  I don't know what the government is hoping to achieve.
+AD4-They are demonstrating that they can still influence the political process
+AD4-(something that they have been less able to do without inspectors present:
+AD4-with the Unscom in Iraq the government could use them to cause crises as
+AD4-well) but there is a risk of backfire.
+AD4-
+AD4---------------------------------------------------------------------------
+AD4-p.s. in my last posting I had requested that the discussion on genocide be
+AD4-moved off of the discussion list.  After that request I received three
+AD4-e-mails telling me that the discussion was still generally interesting.
+AD4-In retrospect, I made the wrong decision and would invite people who felt
+AD4-quashed by my remarks to consider the discussion open again.
+AD4---------------------------------------------------------------------------
+AD4-
+AD4-Colin Rowat
+AD4-
+AD4AKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAq-
+AD4-Coordinator, Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq
+AD4-             http://welcome.to/casi
+AD4AKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAq-
+AD4-
+AD4-393 King's College
+AD4-Cambridge CB2 1ST                       tel:  (0)468 056 984
+AD4-England                                 fax:  (0)1223 335 219
+AD4-
+AD4---
+AD4-This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
+AD4-To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request+AEA-lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
+AD4-the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
+AD4AKgAqACo- Archived at  http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/+AH4-saw27/casi/discuss.html +ACoAKgAq-
+AD4-

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at  http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***