From:                   NewsOnline <newsonline@bbc.co.uk>
To:                     "'Mark Parkinson'" <mark@bodmin-comm-coll.demon.co.uk>
Subject:                RE: World: Middle East: Oil-for-food deal working 'efficiently'
Date sent:              Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:23:00 -0000

Dear Mr Parkinson

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

As journalists we report the news - and if the news is somebody's wrong
statement, so be it. Whether it is the Gulf war and its aftermath, the
Kosovo conflict, the Russian intervention in Chechnya - we report what the
conflicting sides say about each other.

Would we not do that, we would suppress the truth - or at least one side's
version of it.

You may disagree with the statements that we have quoted, but we have a duty
to report them.

As with regards to the overall coverage of the situation in Iraq: I recall
many BBC programmes and news reports out of Iraq showing in detail the
suffering of the Iraqi people.

We are in the business of news journalism, not campaign journalism.

Yours sincerely

Tim Weber
Acting World Editor
BBC News Online - http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Mark Parkinson
Cornwall

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at  http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***