Re: [ADC-ITF] The U.S. Will Reconsider Sanctions

It's really not so "juxtaposed." In regard to both Iraq and Yugoslavia, the
U.S. has used a combination of bombing and sanctions/blockade to obtain its
real objective -- "regime change." The same tactics were also used against
Nicaragua in the 1980s, particularly to force the Sandinistas to hold "free
elections" in 1990. In all cases the idea has been to inflict as much
suffering as possible on the civilian population, in hopes that this will
bring about a rebellion, or, more likely, just wear down and weaken the
targeted country. Iraq has suffered by far the highest toll, because of the
fact that the U.S. has been able to maintain, through its control of the UN
Security Council, a near-total blockade for more than nine years.

No one should be deceived into thinking that the sanctions against
Yugoslavia are about to end. The latest "offer" is not meant to relieve the
suffering of the multi-national Yugoslav people, but instead to bolster the
pro-U.S. "opposition" in Yugoslavia. The U.S. government may employ a
different mix of tactics against designated "enemy states," but it pursues
the same goal of domination in relation to all of them.

Richard Becker
International Action Center

At 11/3/99 , Nathaniel Hurd wrote:
>Juxtapose this recent development in U.S. sanction-related policy
>toward Serbia, and the U.S.' steadfast refusal to budge from its long static
>Iraq policy and sanctions regime.
>
>-Nathaniel Hurd
>

>New York Times
>http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/international/international-yugosla.html
>November 3, 1999
>U.S. Changes Strategy On Serbia And Sanctions
>Filed at 3:00 p.m. EDT
>
>WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States changed the thrust of its strategy
>for Serbia Wednesday, dropping the link between an end to sanctions and the
>departure from power of Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic.
>
>Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, speaking after a meeting with eight
>Serbian opposition leaders, said free and fair elections in Serbia would be
>enough to end most of the sanctions, including a ban on flights and an oil
>embargo.
>
>The strategy could run into trouble if Milosevic won the elections but
>Albright and her aides said this was so hypothetical that it should not
>impede policy.
>
>``I find it really really really hard to believe that Milosevic might win a
>free and fair election,'' Albright said. Pressed on the possibility of a
>Milosevic victory, she said: ''If my grandmother had wheels she would be a
>bicycle.''
>
>``We consider the prospect of free and fair elections being won by Milosevic
>to be so remote as not to be a basis for policy making,'' added a senior
>State Department official.
>
>The shift gives the Serbian opposition a potentially popular rallying cry,
>without alienating those Serbs who resent the appearance of foreign
>interference in Serbian politics.
>
>``Free and fair elections is something all the people of Serbia can
>galvanize around, and that makes a big difference to the Serbian
>opposition,'' added the senior official.
>
>The opposition leaders welcomed the U.S. shift in policy.
>``We are very satisfied. We got very clear support that was more than
>expected,'' Zoran Djindjic, president of the Democratic party, told
>reporters after meeting with Albright. ''It was more than expected because
>we got a clear message about lifting sanctions after elections.''
>
>He and the other opposition leaders said they would continue their protests
>and work to oust Milosevic.
>
>The United States had hoped that the Serbian troop withdrawal from Kosovo in
>June, after months of bombing by NATO planes and missiles, would bring
>Milosevic down.
>
>The Serbian opposition tried to build on the Kosovo debacle. It
>organized protests, mass marches and demonstrations but Milosevic
>survives, albeit as an indicted war criminal wanted for trial in The Hague.
>
>The two main opposition wings -- the Alliance and the Serbian Renewal
>Movement -- united at least temporarily in October in demanding fair and
> [...]

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at  http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***