Canadian parliamentary activity on sanctions.

I attach below two messages relating to a Canadian parliamentary motion.
The first describes the motion briefly and suggests action.  The second is
a letter from a US Congresswoman to Canadian PM Jean Chretien, urging him
to support the motion.

Both messages have been posted to the US-based IAC (Iraq Action Coalition)
list.

Svend Robinson, the proposer of the motion, belongs to the New Democratic
Party, a centre-left party.  My guess, without knowing more about the
motion, is that it is a private members' motion, and therefore less likely
to be expected to pass.

If someone on the list could:

(i) obtain a text of the motion; and
(ii) find out whether it is indeed a private members' motion;

I would find it very useful.

Thank you,

Colin Rowat
Coordinator, Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq

* Support the:                                *
* NATIONAL PETITION AGAINST SANCTIONS ON IRAQ *
* http://go.to/iraqpetition                   *
* or: 12 Trinity Road, London N2 8JJ          *
* or: iraqpetition@email.com                  *
King's College
Cambridge CB2 1ST                       tel: +44 (0)468 056 984
England                                 fax: +44 (0)1223 335 219

Subject: [IAC] Canadian Parliament Motion to Lift Economic Sanctions

>From Ahmad Motiar <motiar@pathcom.com>

URGENT ATTENTION:

Svend Robinson, the MP for Burnaby-Douglas in B.C. has placed Motion M-223
to Lift Economic Sanctions Against Iraq. All people of conscience need to
lend support to this motion by sending letters or e-mails urging the
adoption of this motion to the Prime Minister, the Foreign Minister and a
copy to Mr. Robinson.

To make your task easy copy and send the following message or write one of
your own.

MESSAGE FOR THE PRIME MINISTER:

The Honourable Jean Chretien
Prime Minister of Canada.
E-mail: pm@pm.gc.ca

Re: M-223: Motion to Lift Economic Sanctions Against Iraq

As the economic sanctions imposed upon Iraq since 1991 serve only to
inflict severe suffering on civilians, especially the most vulnerable
members of the Iraqi population, namely the elderly, the sick and
children, we urge you to take immediate steps to help pass Motion M-223.

The sanctions are repugnant because they violate the mandate of the United
Nations, which is to save lives, not to facilitate the death and suffering
of civilians. Continued support of these inhuman sanctions is
unconscionable and a blot against the good name of Canada which has taken
a strong stand against violations of human rights.

Yours sincerely,

TYPE YOUR NAME

cc.    Hon. Lloyd Axworthy,
        Minister of Foreign Affairs
        email: axworl@parl.gc.ca

        Hon. Svend J. Robinson
        robinso@parl.gc.ca

The Honourable Jean Chretien
Prime Minister of Canada
E-mail: pm@pm.gc.ca

November 2, 1999

Re: M-223: Motion to Lift Economic Sanctions Against Iraq

Dear Prime Minister Chretien,

Recently I sent a member of my staff to Iraq to learn first hand how the
sanctions are impacting the civilian population and to obtain additional
data on the effects of depleted uranium ammunition used in the Gulf war.

My aide confirmed that the economic sanctions imposed upon Iraq since 1991
serve primarily to inflict severe suffering on civilians, especially the
most vulnerable members of the Iraqi population, namely the elderly, the
sick and children, I urge you to take immediate steps to help pass Motion
M-223.

The sanctions are repugnant because they violate the mandate of the
United Nations, which is to save lives, not to facilitate the death and
suffering of civilians. Continued support of these inhuman sanctions is
unconscionable and a blot against the good name of Canada which has
taken a strong stand against violations of human rights.

The U.S. led sanctions regime is morally unsustainable.  With the death
toll of civilians in excess of one million, I am convinced the policy is
now in violation of the letter and intent of the Geneva Convention's
prohibition against weapons if the "incidental loss of civilian
life...would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct
military advantage" gained.

I have no illusions about the government of Saddam Hussein.  Yet the
fact remains, in light of the sanction regime's failure to produce any
discernible result other than widespread suffering and death among the
civilian population, I have concluded that it is a policy that has moved
beyond failure, to that of a gross violation of human rights.

It is time for the world community to craft a new policy for Iraq that
contains Iraqi aggression, but does not inflict suffering indiscriminately
upon the Iraqi people.  Again, I urge you to pass Motion M-223.

                                Yours sincerely,

                                Cynthia A. McKinney
                                Member, United States Congress