Re: Kuwaiti hostages

> > Again, it was confirmed that although "suspension" and/or "partial lifting" of sanctions is
> > discussed within the U.N., sanctions cannot be LIFTED until this issue is resolved,

For many of us fighting sanctions this is not at all an acceptable line
to take. A whole people should not be punished with death, misery
and starvation in order to exert political pressure especially on what
seems to be a dictatorship. It may well be that about one million of
some 20 million Iraqis have died as a result of the 'Gulf Slaughter'
and the comprehensive sanctions.

Iraq and Iran have still not returned all their prisoners/hostages from
their conflict but progress has been made after bilateral talks.

I remember being surprised that there was almost never a mention
of the 605 Kuwaiti hostages in our media and Government
statements. I am glad that you and others are pressing hard for their
release but I suspect that the 605 are a very low priority for them
and are only being used as an excuse by the US/UK to prolong
sanctions on Iraq.

In my own view, the best method of resolving problems is 'jaw-jaw
and not war-war'. You ought to pressure our Government and others
to enter into dialogue with the Iraqi Government even if only on this
very important issue.

Mark Parkinson
This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at  http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***