RE: Iraqi rebels to be trained in U.S.

Re the points made by Eyas and Eric:
I really have to say that it does seem like a sick
joke when the American Government plots to overthrow
some regime they don't like, doing it all in the name
of "Democracy".
It could well be that they need Saddam to stay in
power so they can have the "Bogey Man" they lost at
the end of the cold war, in which case they try to
create the impression that they are trying to rid the
world of an evil tyrant by planning a coup, bombing
Iraq, maintaining sanctions and waging a propaganda
war.
If however, their will to overthrow Saddam is genuine,
then I see no reason to assume that his replacement
will be more Pinochet than Mandela.
The prime US interest is to have friendly regimes, and
a friendly dictator is preferable to an uncomfortable
democrat.
Peace, Sean

--- "Hmouz, Eyas" <Eyas.Hmouz@owenscorning.com>

http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html
> ***
> --

> This is a discussion list run by the Campaign
> Against Sanctions on Iraq.
> To be removed/added, email
> soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
> the whole list. Please do not send emails with
> attached files to the list
> *** Archived at

http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html
> ***