Re: Why don't they boil water?

Hello to All,

The Canberra Times (Sat, Oct 23) ran a book review of Scott Ritters new work.

Although I can't scan a copy of the article up here, it implied that Ritter
seemed to think the Iraqi's unwilling to undergo weapon inspector sites,
and ultimately that there were no guarantees that Iraq had disarmed.

Unfortunately, I dont have the expertise to go into weapons inspections,
but I thought that  I could try link the impossibility of attaining a
condition of lifting the sanctions -assurances of Iraq's peaceful
intentions- to the immorality of imposing the sanctions on a civillian
population, in less than 250 words.

I've included a copy of the letter I intend to send here; if anybody has
constructive criticisms, that would be very useful.

Although briefly- i do say that un has a role in this genocide- there must
be some way, were the member states determined enough, of not recognizing
the legality of these sanctions, and ensuring that the UN does not ever
impose comprehensive sanctions again.  That's an argument for those here
more familiar with the workings of the UN, though.

Cheers,

Diaa
Scott Ritter consistently reiterates the impossibility of ensuring the
complete destruction of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, most likely, in
the psychological sense.  Former weapons inspector, Raymond Zalinskas,
stated in 1998, "inspections have resulted in the destruction of all major
targets related to chemical and biological warfare (NPR 2/13/98), also
noting only by killing every scientist in Iraq would the theoretical
possibility of Iraq replenishing its weapons of mass destruction be
eliminated.

Thus, nine years later, the removal of the Iraqi sanctions remains
unattainable, conditional upon  SC resolution 687 (1991), which demands
assurance of Iraq's peaceful intentions- a psychological and qualitative
demand- rendering the Iraqi people's plight more inhumane.

Sanctions not only prevent food from entering Iraq; which is rationed (in
meagre amounts) to Iraqi's under the food-for-oil deal, but prevents
rebuilding of Iraq's shattered infrastructure, particularly electricity and
water systems, severely impacting upon every segment of society,
particularly mothers and children.  25% of children suffer from
malnutrition; 567,000 have died as a result of these sanctions (UN FAO
1995), and between a conservative 2,690 and a more realistic 5,357 more die
each month from malnutrition related diseases (IAC 1999).

The suffering of the Iraqi people under sanctions is "undisputable and
cannot be overstated" (Findings of report commissioned for the SC,
30/3/99).  Furthermore, the illegality and immorality of comprehensive
sanctions are clear; making the knowledge that a major condition required
to lift sanctions is technically and psychologically impossible, a damning
inditement of the UN's involvement in this genocide.

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at  http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***