From: Hamre, Drew <drew.hamre@rainier.com>
To: 'Iraq-CASI - Discussion' <soc-casi-discuss@lists.cam.ac.uk>
Date: October 20, 1999 4:59 PM
Subject: Berger defends current Iraq policies

>U.S. National Security Advisor Sandy Berger 'authored' the following for
>today's International Herald Tribune -- basically, a distillation of the
>State Department's Sept. 13 briefing on Iraq.
>---
>http://www.iht.com/IHT/TODAY/WED/ED/edberger.html
>
>The Iraqis Are Victims of Saddam, Not of the Outside World
>
>By Samuel R. Berger International Herald Tribune

>Now that the oil-for-food program is finally being implemented, it is
making
>a real difference in the lives of the people. This year oil-for-food is
>expected to generate nearly $7 billion for use by Iraq to purchase food,
>medicine and humanitarian goods. The food supply in Iraq has grown,
>providing the average citizen with approximately 2,030 calories a day, an
>amount exceeding the UN-recommended daily minimum.

This is not true.  The Secretary-General's 2 year review of oil for food
states: "The monthly food ration basket financed under resolution 986 (1995)
aimed at providing 2,030 kilocalories per person per day during the first
three phases. This would have provided 92 per cent of the minimum caloric
requirement, as established for Iraq by WHO criteria."  The
Secretary-General goes on to say that it should be much more.

>In fact, the amount of food and medicine that Iraq has been able to
purchase
>under this program is greater than all of the humanitarian aid that the
>United Nations has provided to all the other countries in the world in the
>last three years.

while reading this muddled statement we must remember that Iraq is financing
its own relief program.  and the fact that the iraq program is so large
relative to un humanitarian programs should tell us how severe the
deprivation is in iraq, and how under-funded worldwide un programs are
(thanks to the us, who refuses to pay its dues and whose newspapers have the
gall to ask its readers if their government should pay those dues).

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at  http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***