Re: An exchange with Mark Urban re his Newsnight report 22/9/99

Something is bothering me about Mark Urban´s email--

 now that Iraq has the Oil for Food money they spend
> miserably little of it of infant feeding programmes; Iraq has spent huge
> amounts on Saddam's palaces and gold rolexes

But did I not read in the recent press release from Dennis Halliday that
the Iraqi govt has no access to Oil-for-food monies?
 Just wondering.
Marc Wilson.

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:08:17 +0000 (GMT) (As posted to the IAC list)
Contrary to State Department issuances, the Office of
Sevan knows full well that the government in Baghdad has no access to OiI
for Food monies. They know that there have been no reports from 150 UN
system observers throughout Iraq of food supplies being stolen or diverted
by Baghdad. The office can explain why there have been delays in
distribution by the Ministry of Health of some medicines - such as poor
quality unfit for human use, packages with missing components,
regferation/transporation inadequacies, poor inventory control despite WHO
assistance and even some overseas manufacturing problems.
 Marc Wilson.

Ålands fredsinstitut - The Åland Island Peace Institute
PB 85
FIN-22101 Mariehamn
Åland, Finland
tel: +358 18 21960 fax: +358 18 21026

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***