Talabani: US policies do not lead to the liberation of Iraq

I thought this might interest list members since it is often said in
articles concerning sanctions that Kurdish leaders oppose the lifting of
sanctions. Jalal Talabani clearly states both that sanctions must be
lifted and Saddam removed. However, he is understandably critical of
U.S. gestures in the latter direction which involve superficial support
for political groups in exile and little substantive support for those
operating within Iraq. The source is: http://come.to/kurdishmedia

Ben Rempel

Talabani: US policies do not lead to the liberation of Iraq
Kurdish Media - Sep 29, 1999

In an interview with Al-Zaman Newspaper (issue Sep 28,1999) Jalal
Talabani,
the leader of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), played down the
role
of the US administration in its approach to change the regime in Iraq.

initiative in bringing groups of Iraqi oppositions to New York, Talabani
said, "coming to New York was not accomplished by American initiative
alone,
but achieved by the Iraqi oppositions initiative and originally we
succeeded
in it with the co-ordination of the 'Higher Islamic Committee for
Islamic
Revolution' and other Iraqi forces working in the homeland, including
the
Iraqi Communist Party and the "Movement of Islamic Unity in Kurdistan".

Oppression of parts of Kurdistan under Saddam's control

In this context Talabani said: "The meeting with Mrs Albright was clear
and
frank. We made it clear to her that the Iraqi people are suffering under
the
oppression, displacement and under the current depopulation of Kurds and
Turkman from Khanaqeen, Kirkuk, Makhmoor and other parts of Kurdistan
controlled by the Iraqi regime.

We also expressed to Mrs Albright that the Iraqi people are suffering
form
the dictatorial policies implemented by the regime in Baghdad. We asked
for
the activation of the UN resolutions that are in favour of the Iraqi
people
and not just focusing on the resolutions that are related to the
destruction
of weaponry. We emphasize the importance of implementations of the UN
resolution 688 that is emphasizing the human rights and the resolutions
that
relate to the oil-for-food programme in an appropriate manner that may
serve
the Iraqi people.

In addition, we asked the end of the suffering of Iraqi people and
removal
of the sanctions on the Iraqi people and bypassing the regime in
Baghdad.

We asked her to send international missions to monitor the humanrights
abuses.

We found Mrs Albright responding very positively to all what we asked."

Removing Saddam's regime

In the context of American plan to remove Saddam from power,Talabani
said,
"...we are not against 'liberation of Iraq' but we object to the US
policies
that do not lead to the liberation of Iraq and we have expressed that
the
opposition groups that are based abroad cannot liberate Iraq."

"The outside conspiracies cannot liberate Iraq and we believe that
active
oppositions should emanate from the homeland and should be ready for
democratic changes in the Iraqi nation and not be a tool of outside
conspiracies whether it is American or others."

$97M
allocated to the Iraqi oppositions by the US Congress, Talabani replied
in a
humorous manner, "thanks god we have not and we shall not receive a
single
dollar of this help."

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***