1998 Iraq briefing paper

Found  this at the web-site of the Royal Institute of International Affairs.
It's quite long (16 pages!!) but interesting, if you have not seen it
before.

> ********************
> IRAQ UNDER SANCTIONS: A REGIME DEFIANT
> Volker Perthes
> Middle East Programme
> The Royal Institute of International Affairs: BRIEFING No. 40 February
> 1998
>
> In the early months of 1998, the outlook for relations between Iraq and
> the West looked distinctly bleak. The crisis over UN inspections of Iraq's
> potential to create weapons of mass destruction began in November 1997
> with the Iraqi government's attempt to control the make-up of the United
> Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM) inspection teams on the grounds that
> the Anglo-American components of them were, in effect, spies came to a
> head in February 1998 when the United States and Britain insisted on full,
> unrestricted compliance with all UN sanctions under the threat of military
> action. Even though Iraq reluctantly acquiesced in Western demands, little
> thought appeared to be given in American and British planning to what the
> consequence of such action would be on Iraqis themselves and on Iraqi
> public opinion.
>
> It had been comfortably assumed by Western military planners and by
> Anglo-American politicians that the 'weakening' of Iraq's military and
> weapons development potential would eventually enable Iraqis to overthrow
> the Saddam Hussein regime. This had, after all, been the implicit (and
> occasionally explicit) objective of the two Western allies since the end
> of the war against Iraq in 1991. Even the peaceful resolution of the
> crisis at the end of February did not negate these objectives. The problem
> with both these assumptions, however, is that they have ignored any
> objective evaluation of Iraqi attitudes and beliefs after six years of an
> intensive and all-encompassing sanctions regime which, according to Iraqi
> and UN estimates, caused the deaths of up to one million people, half of
> them children.
>
> Firsthand and detailed accounts of what has been happening inside Iraq
> have been infrequent and rare. This briefing, however, attempts to fill
> the gap. Even though it is based on fieldwork carried out a year ago, the
> latest information from Iraq confirms that its analysis is still accurate
> today. The picture that emerges is of an Iraq which, largely because of
> the sanctions, is angry, vengeful and profoundly anti-Western in its
> attitudes, whatever its population may think of the repressive regime that
> controls the country. In the wake of the crisis at the start of 1998, such
> attitudes have become even more profoundly entrenched, a development which
> must raise questions about the wisdom of pursuing a policy that seems to
> produce results consistently running counter to its objectives.
>
> The account given below is the first of several briefing papers we shall
> produce dealing with the current situation in Iraq. Subsequent analyses
> [...]
This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***