Re: Despicable Sites Comment

Dear Nels

I'll reply to the discussion group once on this issue. If you wish to
continue it, I'll send my replies to you only, because I do not think
it is particularly relevant to CASI's work.

Regarding the websites:
http://www.iraqi-mission.org/
http://iraq.org/main.html

It is pretty much an uncontested fact that the Iraqi government, under
Saddam Hussein, killed thousands of Kurds during 1987/8 (e.g. the
chemical attack on Halabja in March, 1988 -- documented by Amnesty
International). I consider governments who participate in mass murder
"despicable". In addition, I consider organisations who distribute
propaganda on behalf of such governments "despicable".

Incidentally, I think the US\UK\West German\Soviet govts. (and others)
were "despicable for supplying Iraq with the weapons they needed to
carry out these attacks against the Iraqi Kurds. Similar arguments
apply to the Iraq-Iran war.

There's no doubt that www.iraqi-mission.org is a mouthpiece of the
Iraqi govt. It's their official UN site. They also have an inspiring
photograph of Saddam Hussein at the top of their home page.

Regarding the Iraq.Org site, perhaps "despicable" was a bit strong.
"Disagreeable" might be fairer. It definitely seems to be a supporter
of the Iraqi govt. (e.g. the one-sided article about Iran's role in POW
negotiations).

In general, I would agree that it's not wise to use emotive words like
"despicable" in serious discourse, but I suspect that is not the point
you are making.

Regards,
Nathan Geffen